Question Random FPS drops in nearly all games

Jan 11, 2021
I am using a asus tuf 15 with a 1660ti and a ryzen9 cpu. Up until last week all i had experienced no problems, but recently out of nowhere i am getting random fps drops in nearly every games. The fps plunges from 60-70 to 20 for 5-6 secs every 2-3 mins. I have tried clean installing the nvidia drivers but to no good. Thanks in advance for taking an interest in my problem. Any help will be appreciated.

HWOC

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Did you have a look at your Task Manager and see what is running in the background? Sort by CPU usage and then check by RAM usage, should be easier to see if there is anything significant running in the background. Have you installed anything new lately, new antivirus or firewall, or updated either to a new version? Any other changes?

Jan 11, 2021
%
Did you have a look at your Task Manager and see what is running in the background? Sort by CPU usage and then check by RAM usage, should be easier to see if there is anything significant running in the background. Have you installed anything new lately, new antivirus or firewall, or updated either to a new version? Any other changes?
Nothing much running other than the game itself. No i have not downloaded anything new recently other than the latest nvidia drivers.
During RDR2, CPU- 49%
Memory 5.5 GB
GPU 98%
temp- 82 C
I tried undervolting the cpu using ryzen controller but that was way before this problem started.

Thanks for taking an interest in my problem

HWOC

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Do you have a second monitor that you could have performance monitor running on while playing a game? For example having Task Manager running and seeing live what happens during the 5-6 second FPS drop. It would have to be either CPU or GPU throttling down for some reason, or something else running the background for that time and taking up a lot of CPU time.

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
%
Nothing much running other than the game itself. No i have not downloaded anything new recently other than the latest nvidia drivers.
During RDR2, CPU- 49%
Memory 5.5 GB
GPU 98%
temp- 82 C
I tried undervolting the cpu using ryzen controller but that was way before this problem started.

Thanks for taking an interest in my problem
Your temps seem to be a little on the hot side, maybe try adjust the fan curve in MSI afterburner or another program.

Jan 11, 2021
Do you have a second monitor that you could have performance monitor running on while playing a game? For example having Task Manager running and seeing live what happens during the 5-6 second FPS drop. It would have to be either CPU or GPU throttling down for some reason, or something else running the background for that time and taking up a lot of CPU time.
No I do not have a 2nd monitor setup. Maybe I can keep the task manager running in the back ground and sneak a peek when the fps drops. I will do that and upload the results

TRENDING THREADS