Question Random FPS drops on FX-8350 ?

Jan 13, 2021
Recently my PC has started hitting max CPU utilization while playing games (other than games that aren't graphically intensive), and then my game will have a massive lag spike for about 15 seconds. This is a newer issue, it mostly started after I replaced my gpu. I've considered that my GPU swap has caused the throttling, however one of my friends has the exact same CPU/GPU combo and has had no issues.
Here's the relevant info:
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-8350
CPU Cooler
Corsair Hyper Evo 212
RAM
16.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 2133MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
MSI 970A SLI Krait Edition (MS-7693)
GPU
6144MB GDDR6 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti (Zotac)

As I said my PC will eat up my CPU and then I get an FPS drop for about 10-15 seconds, then it's back to normal. The problem is it happens frequently, as in multiple time in the span of 5 minutes. I took the side of my case off and put a box fan pointing inside to see if it was just a heat issue due to the new card putting off too much. When I do that I don't have the problem as frequently, maybe once or twice an hour. So I suspect it's a cooling issue, but my cpu on average hits 55c at the highest, so I'm at a loss here. Any ideas of whats up? Is it a dreaded VRM issue?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021
to which frequency is the CPU dropping while the FPS is dropping?

which GPU was installed before?

use ddu uninstaller and reinstall nvidia driver as "new installation"

It varies depending on the game, but it usually dips anywhere from 2.5-3.6ghz. I'm OC'd, but I didn't want to push the board too far so I'm OC'd at 4.2ghz.
Before I had a Nvidia GTX 680 in the system. When I installed the card I uninstalled my old drivers and then reinstalled the updated Nvidia drivers. Should I do another round of it just to be sure?

Jan 13, 2021
If cooling it helps, try setting all your fans to 100% and see if the problem goes away completely. If so, then the solution will simply be figuring out how to cool your case better (or just leaving the fans on at 100%).
I already maxed out my fans when I installed it because I knew the FX had a tendency to run hot. I'm pretty sure if it's not a bottleneck issue and it is a heating issue that it's a VRM problem, which I can't think of many efficient ways to cool the VRM on my board