[SOLVED] Random fps drops without any apparent reason

Feb 16, 2020
Hi All,
Recently I have made the build bellow. The build should handle most game no sweat, however I am experiencing random fps drops without any notable stats changes like cpu or gpu usage. They start to be more noticeable when I am leaving my PC on longer (say after 2 hours or so).
It runs fine but every minute or so (varies between 5 minutes or a couple of seconds) it drops to 0fps and then crawls back up again (time between dropping and back to normal takes about a second or 3).
The drops are mostly happening when playing Rainbow Six Siege or League of Legends (and some other games). But games like Witcher 3 or Assassin's Creed Odyssey are running without issues.
I really am at a loss as I tried running synthetic benchmarks like Prime95, FurMark or 3DMark but to no avail. They are giving me better than average results and 0 framedrops whatsoever. After which I tried reinstalling everything (even just a game and skipping drivers and the like) to check if it's software related. This did not work either. I have also tried to run DDU but sadly this had no effect as well.

Do you guys know what may be the issue here? At this point I am thinking it must be some kind of faulty hardware, however I have no idea as to what I need to replace.

Last edited:
Solution
Well found the issue: it was Windows...
I had my desktop background set to change every minute and at that interval the framedrops happened as well. Turning the slideshow off fixed it for me.
Feb 13, 2020
I'm dealing with a similar issue but on a much worse build than you haha, but for me the Frametime spikes are very consistent - they happen every 61 seconds on the dot and they don't drop to 0. Also, they only seem to happen in games where my GPU usage is low. The only thing we have in common seems to be the ram as I have the same RAM and using an ASUS mobo so I wouldnt be surprised if its set to the same XMP profile. Maybe it has something to do with the timings? I know there is a Ryzen RAM calculator, I may give that a go when I get back home. Maybe look into that? Also, the stutters were really bad for me and I realized I installed a chipset driver from AMD and ASUS. So when I reinstalled I only installed from Asus and it seemed to work much better. Some people say use the CPU website but when I did that there were some errors in the installer log. But anyway, sorry I cant be of more help - please let me know if you find the fix tho!

Feb 16, 2020
I'm dealing with a similar issue but on a much worse build than you haha, but for me the Frametime spikes are very consistent - they happen every 61 seconds on the dot and they don't drop to 0. Also, they only seem to happen in games where my GPU usage is low. The only thing we have in common seems to be the ram as I have the same RAM and using an ASUS mobo so I wouldnt be surprised if its set to the same XMP profile. Maybe it has something to do with the timings? I know there is a Ryzen RAM calculator, I may give that a go when I get back home. Maybe look into that? Also, the stutters were really bad for me and I realized I installed a chipset driver from AMD and ASUS. So when I reinstalled I only installed from Asus and it seemed to work much better. Some people say use the CPU website but when I did that there were some errors in the installer log. But anyway, sorry I cant be of more help - please let me know if you find the fix tho!
I timed mine now as well and it seems mine also happen around a minute (ranging between 58 seconds and 61 seconds)
I now also reinstalled my chipset drivers, but this had no effect. I guess the search continues...

Feb 16, 2020
Well found the issue: it was Windows...
I had my desktop background set to change every minute and at that interval the framedrops happened as well. Turning the slideshow off fixed it for me.

Solution