Nov 14, 2022
Hi,

I have a Dell G7 2018 7588 which I use for Gaming and work, here are the specs

CPU i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz 2.21GHZ
RAM : 32 GB (31.8 GB Useable)
GPU : GTX 1060M (6 GB)
SSD: 512 NVMe (Where is save my games)
HDD : 1 TB

I know it is not the best setup for gaming these days but I have been using it for over 3 years for gaming and until a few months ago it has started dropping frames randomly during gaming, for the first few minutes it work fine and then it starts to drop frames every 30 seconds or so, I usually have the Task Manager running to look at the stats and it shows lower Nividia GTX usage and higher Intel Graphics Card usage when it stutters, Here is a screenshot.

I am also undervolting my GPU using ThrottleStop, screenshot here, to keep the temperatures down, when I run TSBench it shows no errors, which means that undervolting is done right, I think. Here is the link to my UserBenchmark, The GPU and CPU temperatures average on 76°C and 82°C.

Here is what I have tried so far,
  • Adjusting udervolt settings in TS
  • Updating BIOS to latest version (Updated 11/13/22)
  • Updating GPU drivers (Updated 11/13/22)
  • Updating any other outdated drivers
  • Running games on lower settings, still the stutter after 10 mins or so
I have tried looking for help online and nothing seems to work, what can I do fix this problem other than throwing my computer out the window? Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Umair

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model PSU? Wattage, age (3 years ?), condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy gaming use?

Also use Resource Monitor to observe system performance. However do not use Resource Monitor at the same time as Task Manager.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the frame drops.

Nov 14, 2022
Make and model PSU? Wattage, age (3 years ?), condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy gaming use?

Also use Resource Monitor to observe system performance. However do not use Resource Monitor at the same time as Task Manager.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the frame drops.

It is a Dell G7 Gaming Laptop, 180w Power Brick, outputs 19.5 Volts 9.23 Amps. I bought the laptop brand-new from a Dell outlet in August 2019, played many games on it including Metro Exodus and GOW4 among the most demanding (Playing Far Cry 6 these days but the stutter is making it hard to enjoy). Unfortunately RDR2 is not well optimized for 10 series GPUs and so I was getting lower framerates and I had to delete it.

I will get the data from the Resource monitor tonight.. any ideas on what could be going wrong?

Please note that the laptop comes with 16 gigs of RAM for stock and I added 16 GBs on top of that, I understand it has something to do with XMP, do you think that might be the case? I have been through my BIOS settings and I see nothing there for XMP.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Check your Windows power settings and make sure it's not on balanced. Switch it to high performance and see if that helps. Otherwise, check your Nvidia Control Panel and make sure the power settings in there are also set to high performance, and that vsync isn't holding you back in some manner.