Question Random Frame Drops/Stuttering in MW2

Nov 30, 2022
Have been having this issue on my setup since launch. When I first launch the game, the first round of TDM or whatever drops frames like crazy, afterwards sometimes it will go back to staying at 60 with rare drops. The game is installed on my 4TB Storage Hard Drive which is a Seagate Barracuda that's maybe a year old. I'll list the rest of my specs below. I have no idea what it could be. I thought it was my overclock settings, so I reset everything except my XMP profile and GPU Fan Curve. I even reimaged it with a fresh copy of Windows 11 Pro with no luck. I've tried both the 522.25, 526.86, and the current 526.98 each being installed with Display Driver Uninstaller being ran first. Game settings in MW2 don't seem to make a difference either. Has anyone has had a similar issue and figured out a fix? Just trying to play at a locked 1080p60.

Specs:
i5-8600K (Stock Clock/Voltage) (IDCooling 240MM Watercooler with Custom Fan Curve. Never sees over 60*C)
MSI Z390 MPG Gaming Plus (Latest Bios)
16GB (8GBx2) TeamGroup TForce Delta DDR4 3200MHz (Default XMP Profile Enabled)
MSI RTX 2060 Super Ventus GP OC 8GB GDDR6 (Stock Clocks/Voltage) (Custom Fan Curve Never sees over 65*C)
Samsung PM961 256GB M.2
Seagate BarraCuda 4TB ST4000DM004
800W PSU (Don't remember the Brand but its 80+Gold) (Had it since 2017 with my previous build)

My UserBench Results: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS (MS-7B51) Performance Results - UserBenchmark

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

800W PSU (Don't remember the Brand but its 80+Gold) (Had it since 2017 with my previous build)
Here's where you will need to follow up with the make and model of the unit. You will need to physically take the side panel off and look for the stickered info of the unit.

Can you state what BIOS version you're on at this moment of time, as opposed to stating latest ? Check and see if your SSD is pending any firmware updates, using Samsung's Magician App.

I even reimaged it with a fresh copy of Windows 11 Pro with no luck.
Do you mean cloned the OS or are you stating resetting the OS?

Nov 30, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Here's where you will need to follow up with the make and model of the unit. You will need to physically take the side panel off and look for the stickered info of the unit.

Can you state what BIOS version you're on at this moment of time, as opposed to stating latest ? Check and see if your SSD is pending any firmware updates, using Samsung's Magician App.

I even reimaged it with a fresh copy of Windows 11 Pro with no luck.
Do you mean cloned the OS or are you stating resetting the OS?

Had to pull the PSU entirely to actually see the label. Its a High Power HPL-800BR-F14S 800W 80+Bronze.

BIOS Version is E7B51IMS.1E2 Build Date of 10/12/2022

Magician doesn't seem to like my SSD. Every value is listed as N/A with no ability to do really anything. Full Model Number is MZVLW256HEHP-000H1

And Windows was installed fresh with a Windows 11 install USB using Media Creation Tool. The SSD was formatted entirely. It's on 22H2 and is current on all Windows Updates

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Cod games on pc are not optimized well. It's a crap shoot even on high end hardware and troubleshooting it for too long will simply be a waste of time.
I would suggest try setting your Windows power settings and Nvidia Control Panel power settings to perfer maximum performance, to see if that helps.
If it doesn't, play on the lowest graphical settings and find the culprit by raising them one by one and with process of elimination.

Reactions: thebradismad
Nov 30, 2022
How old is the PSU? As for the issue you speak of, does it only occur under MW2?

I've had the PSU in use since I got it new in 2016 or 17. I don't remember which. But it's not used every day, and not all the time has it been used under max load either. The stuttering happens in BF2042 as well, but it resolves itself much faster, and once it stops, its good the whole time I play, unlike MW2 does intermittently. Those are the only 2 Games I've been regularly playing. But in the past, it would happen in Fortnite as well sometimes.

Nov 30, 2022
Cod games on pc are not optimized well. It's a crap shoot even on high end hardware and troubleshooting it for too long will simply be a waste of time.
I would suggest try setting your Windows power settings and Nvidia Control Panel power settings to perfer maximum performance, to see if that helps.
If it doesn't, play on the lowest graphical settings and find the culprit by raising them one by one and with process of elimination.

I have it set to the Ultimate Performance Windows Power Plan, and Prefer Maximum Performance is enabled in NVidia Control Panel. I tried dumping all the settings to the lowest, it happens a bit less but no substantial change.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS