Question Random frametime spike , need help idenitfying cause

PauloSilva93

Prominent
Mar 6, 2023
Hi, i was wondering if anyone can help me, i want to troubleshoot gameplay to reproduce a recurring issue that i have been having, the issue being: random stutter with frametime spike that happens in every game i play, i managed to reduce the bulk of the frametime spikes using blurbusters guide (https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14) but there still remains that pesky spike, which is completely random btw, i have a flat frametime line most of the the time but then it happens sure as daybreak ,and completely ruins the immersion. i want to diagnose what is the cause of this, any way i should proceed? since its an instant freeze i don´t have enough time to see what was actually failing in msi afterburner's monitor.
I have had the system checked by tests made from the guys at pctech reddit, and everything was fine according to them, one did mention something about my clocks randomly dropping for no reason, dont remember if its gpu clock or cpu, but i would bet gpu.

i have rgb but no software, haven´t gotten around to messing with rgb yet.

gpu and cpu are not overclocked.

using windows 11 up to date.

PC SPECS:
MOBO: msi gaming edge wifi b550
RAM: crucial ballistix 2x8GB 3600mhz ,XMP profile 2
GPU: xfx merc 6800xt
CPU: ryzen 5 5600
PSU: corsair rm850x 850 watts
CPU COOLER: arctic liquid freezer II 280-argb
UPS: cyperpower epfclcd 1500
CASE: phanteks eclipse p500a

i have vysn off in game, and wait for vertical refresh and enhanced sync on as well as freesync on in amd adrenaline control panel.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Hi, i was wondering if anyone can help me, i want to troubleshoot gameplay to reproduce a recurring issue that i have been having, the issue being: random stutter with frametime spike that happens in every game i play, i managed to reduce the bulk of the frametime spikes using blurbusters guide (https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14) but there still remains that pesky spike, which is completely random btw, i have a flat frametime line most of the the time but then it happens sure as daybreak ,and completely ruins the immersion. i want to diagnose what is the cause of this, any way i should proceed? since its an instant freeze i don´t have enough time to see what was actually failing in msi afterburner's monitor.
I have had the system checked by tests made from the guys at pctech reddit, and everything was fine according to them, one did mention something about my clocks randomly dropping for no reason, dont remember if its gpu clock or cpu, but i would bet gpu.

i have rgb but no software, haven´t gotten around to messing with rgb yet.

gpu and cpu are not overclocked.

using windows 11 up to date.

PC SPECS:
MOBO: msi gaming edge wifi b550
RAM: crucial ballistix 2x8GB 3600mhz ,XMP profile 2
GPU: xfx merc 6800xt
CPU: ryzen 5 5600
PSU: corsair rm850x 850 watts
CPU COOLER: arctic liquid freezer II 280-argb
UPS: cyperpower epfclcd 1500
CASE: phanteks eclipse p500a

i have vysn off in game, and wait for vertical refresh and enhanced sync on as well as freesync on in amd adrenaline control panel.
Probably not your problem, but 16GB of RAM seems kind of low for gaming. I take it that you don't see any changes in Performance monitor when the problem occurs?

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
what is performance monitor? sorry i am kind of a novice
No need to be sorry. I'm not an expert. Everyone has different levels of expertise based on experience and need. Open Task manager. Then select performance. You will see graphs for cpu, memory, etc. Observe them when it is working normally, and then when the problem appears. Try to discern what is changing when a problem occurs.