[SOLVED] Random Freeze, BSOD'S and Shutdown

Noriouka

Prominent
Jan 6, 2021
Good afternoon everyone, I've been here back in january asking for help on this same problem. I'll copy paste what i said on that thread and complement what i've done after.

So, by the start of december I started to get some random blue screens, and since at the time it wasnt that frequent, I didnt gave much of a care, thinking it would just go away. But as time passed more and more BSOD's started showing up, with different codes each time. So I went on to try and find a solution online, downloaded WhoCrashed to see the dumps, made some tests with my RAM, switching slots and deactivating XMP, reactivating it, updated mobo BIOS, also updated all drivers manually, but it seemed to not go away no matter what I did. So eventually I decided to format both my HDD and SSD thinking that a malware or something could be lurking on those. After doing that, followed by all windows updates and driver updates, things seemed to be stable, but once I got confortable thinking all was solved, another BSOD popped. I also tried to switch GPU drivers with an older version cause I've seen some people reporting having windows crashed with recent Nvidia drivers, but still the blue screens persisted.

I built up this computer about 3-4 months ago, so everything appart from the PSU and HDD/SSD is brand new. Also heard that AMD was having some problems with blue screens on Ryzen 3000 series so I'm kinda afraid my CPU is broken or something like that, but I dont want to activate the warranty without knowing for sure.

To be clear crashes only happens while idle, or in a call or watching a video.

Here is the link to the dump files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uw59BVKVpV71ATDkuAWVuHGK1HUx6U4Z/view?usp=sharing (THESE ARE FROM JAN 13)

PC Components:

Gigabyte B450 Aorus M
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
2x XPG Spectrix D41 8GB DDR4 3000Mhz
EVGA GeForce GTX 1660
SSD TeamGroup L5 Lite 240GB
HDD SeaGate Barracuda 1TB
XFX 600W XT 80+ Bronze

To be clear crashes only happens while idle, or in a call or watching a video. It never happened while gaming, always waits until I close the game and then it crash.

So I did a bunch of things between then and now.

Did a clean windows install on both my SSD and my HDD, problem persisted;

I updated every single driver on my computer, one by one, problem persisted:

Starting by PSU, checked every voltage and all of them are within 5% of 3.3V / 5V / 12V , I also did the clip test where you plug a clip on the (if i remeber correctly) green and the red pin on the 24pin cable to check if the PSU turns on, it did nicely as inteded;

Then I moved on to RAM, first i only had these 2x XPG Spectrix, switched them back and forth on all 4 dimm slots, single channel, dual channel all that jazz and nothing, problem persisted. Then i did a full memtest86 test wich didnt accuse anything;

memtest86 Log: https://pasteboard.co/JJvKgHk.png

Still thinking it was RAM i bought 2x Kingstom 4GB 2400Mhz, BSOD still persisted;

Gave up on RAM and went to Prime 95, ran it for 6h with one FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4 - Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file. . Dunno if thats what im looking for but we will get there soon enough.

Prime95 Log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1imBFgSslZNX2gj0lEM_7Y_lv6Lg9kf8C/view?usp=sharing

Took it to 2 different technicians, both couldnt figure it out.

Sent MOBO to warranty just to be sure it isnt the faulty hardware i'm looking for, and as expected it wasnt it.

Did a bunch of stress tests on FurMark and Prime95 again while logging on HWInfo to see if it crashes and nothing... I think this computer is mocking me.

Down here will be both the most recent dump files and all 3 HWInfo logs i did since i got mobo back ( first two are logging until it crashed and the third is the stress test);

Dumpfiles: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Jgp7Zp7B9BPQWSIw6WrdEyefA29mI7ah?usp=sharing
HWinfo Logs: : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OY4obm4-729Hc3WQV_kIvlYnHTxXayj2?usp=sharing

My conclusion is: i'm almost sure i got a faulty CPU and it's having some kind of memory related problem (?) maybe on those L1/L2/L3 cache stuff, i dont have enought ti knowledge to know that stuff haha, all i learnt was from trying to solve this problem.
I'm thinking on buying an APU, maybe a R5 3400G cause i need my computer to do college stuff, and if it isnt on the CPU i got an integrated graphics to back me up while i send my GPU to warranty but i dont wanna take long enought for the warranty to expire.
That's pretty much it, i hope someone here can help me with this and also here's the thread i made back in january: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/blue-screen-of-death-bsod.3679591/?view=date

Solution
Someone told me an old person was back, I see now

Prime 95 rounding errors can be fixed by adding voltage to ram. could be CPU problem.
Memory controller is on the CPU so its possible
if you have hardware problems the dump files probably won't help. windows doesn't always know what is wrong.
Problem with Ryzen is there are only so many tests for it. Intel at least has their own test, I wish AMD would do the same.

Since you have new ram & new motherboard the choices of what it can be are limited. PSU seems okay from your tests.
You should be able to RMA the CPU as its under warranty still.

sorry I haven't reached a happy answer with you.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Prime 95 rounding errors can be fixed by adding voltage to ram. could be CPU problem.
if you have hardware problems the dump files probably won't help. windows doesn't always know what is wrong.
Problem with Ryzen is there are only so many tests for it. Intel at least has their own test, I wish AMD would do the same.

Since you have new ram & new motherboard the choices of what it can be are limited. PSU seems okay from your tests.

Solution

Noriouka

Prominent
Jan 6, 2021

Hey Colif, glad to see you here. This problem isnt GPU related right? The odd thing is that its crashing idle or doing something light, but under heavy load its quite stable. But you gave me exactly what i wanted, just needed someone more knowledgeable than me to confirm i should sent it to warranty.

Thank you for the other thread too, even tho we didnt solve the problem back then, i learned a lot 😁

Colif

Win 11 Master
You could buy the APU and rma CPU so you aren't without a cpu while its in, but do you need 2 CPU?
are you sure APU works in your motherboard? I would check that before buying it.

did prime cause errors on both motherboards?

You seem to have done a good job at narrowing down cause, we can only do so much on a forum, can't be there.

Noriouka

Prominent
Jan 6, 2021
I'm planning on selling the APU when i get my CPU back from warranty. I cant be without a computar while my CPU is on RMA. Good point on mobo compatibility, i'll check i think it is.

I've only got one mobo so idk what you meant there, but i've sent it to warranty back in january and they said it was 100% functional, no problem detected at all