Random Freeze / Crash

danhazelwood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Operating system: Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
MoBo: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD
Ram: OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz
Hard Drives: OCZ Vertex Turbo OCZSSD2-1VTXT30G 2.5" 30GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (2x in RAID 0)
CPU Fan: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 700W
Build Date 1/1/2010

Untitled by danhazelwood, on Flickr

I actually posted about this problem previously and thought it to be solved however it seems the problem just hid for a a day then returned. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/323012-31-computer-freezes-boot-disconnect is the original post.

The computer now starts normally w/o having to disconnect the usb devices however it is suffering from a large amount of random crashes and complete freezes. Only once was is accompanied with a BSOD which was "system_service_exception".

What I have done so far:

Memtest+, Chkdsk, Core Temp (To make sure my CPU isn't overheating), and Flashed Bios.

Help... what should I check next?

IMAG0143 by danhazelwood, on Flickr

So I ran Memtest+ over night and woke up to this.

IMAG0147 by danhazelwood, on Flickr

IMAG0146 by danhazelwood, on Flickr

Did i just get my answer is it my ram?

danhazelwood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
They passed c check perfectly fine... also I no longer use them as my windows install hard drive. For that I am using a WD Raptor which also passed c check. The only thing installed on the oczs are my dideo games and the computer is locking up while browsing toms hardware and writing posts. Its also now freezing randomly in loading... at the moment it is frozen at loading asus express gate.......

roald

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Well i don't know how long you've been running your installation, but it might be an idea to reinstall windows from scratch with the latest fresh drivers and see what happens. If it's still an issue, it's definately hardware related but just rule out software i'd give it a try

danhazelwood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I think i've solved this issue.. will get back in a day or so to make sure no more crashes or freezes happen...

I was using the inside Ram slots on my computer the ones closest to my CPU fan/cooling tower. The inside Ram stick was resting against the CPU cooling tower and that might of caused issues. It wierd though because it has been like that for over a year :/

danhazelwood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Nope after a day BSOD's have returned.. its no longer every 10 mins but ever few hours i get one.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
BCP2: FFFFF80002A6B98C
BCP3: FFFFF880031B5FC8
BCP4: FFFFF880031B5820
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Help

Jhaz

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
I have been having the same problem danhazelwood and have gone through the same steps as you (plus sending every part back to the factory under warranty to be replaced). The build date of the computer was about 3 months ago. If you want the part list I will need to get back home from business but I know off the top of my head that I have an ASUS m4a87td evo MOBO and an AMD phenom II x 6. So now we got two birds to kill in this thread! =)

danhazelwood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I ran memtest for 8 hours... I was able to get a glimpse at what caused the problem on a blue screen it was a atikmdag.sys error.

From what I can tell its a conflict in my Catalyst Control Center. Recommendations are to just install the display driver without CCC. Only issue i can see with that is how do i get rid of overscan :/

singemagique

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
I wouldn't worry about the overscan, just use Driver Sweeper (http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/) boot into safe mode and wipe the ATI driver. Once back to your normal desktop uninstall anything ATI related and finally re-install the driver without CCC.

danhazelwood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I have not been OC at all in this build. I think its the GPU going bad as I just replaced it with a 5670 from another computer and I haven't had any issues yet.

I have only gotten atikmdag.sys BSOD one time out of 5-10 of them most of the time its 0000fe and stuff like that. The most common crash i'm receiving now is random complete shutdowns of the computer w/o a BSOD and the fans still running, the computer freezes with no error screens or screen distortions, or the computer freezes and I get the picture i posted.

Here's hoping HIS has good customer support.

danhazelwood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
OK its definitely has something to do with overheating. I placed a regular floor fan on my computer. The computer ran stable through an overnight memtest+ and a day and a half of star craft 2 with the fan on it. I forgot to turn the fan on for 15 mins to burn a dvd and the computer freezes up. No blue screen just freezes. The CPU temp was 45c and the GPU was 44c so it wasn't either of those. My Ram is running at Motherboard defaults which is DDR3 1066 while the ram is rated as DDR3 1600 so I don't think its the ram.

I felt the power supply and it did not feel hot, and its fan is spinning.

I felt my WD Raptor that my windows is installed on and that felt hot so that might be a cause. Or could it be my motherboard overheating?