Random Freeze Lags/FPS Drops when playing games.

May 6, 2018
So I just recently noticed I needed to replace my thermal paste as when I was playing games they would randomly drop from 60 to 1 fps for about 3 seconds periodically and when I checked my temps they were abnormally high (50-56 when idling). So I replaced my thermal paste and the temps went back down to normal and CPU usage also was at normal levels but the freeze lags/fps drop still happens during games. Is my CPU damaged or is it just a software bug? I check my temps when these drops happen and it isn't very abnormal. I've also been trying to check some other possible causes as it doesn't seem to be the CPU. My GPU temps and usage are also normal, I've updated my BIOS, checked ram timings/speeds, reinstalling my graphics drivers, tried switching games from SSD to HDD but it makes no difference they still drop frames periodically for a second or two. I can't figure out what's causing this and it's really frustrating in multiplayer games, any suggestions.
P.S. I built this system in December and I've had no problems so far up until this.
SPECS.
MOBO: Gigabyte AB350 motherboard.
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
CPU: Ryzen 3 1200
RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 W/Speeds at 2400 (Corsair Vengeance)
HardDrive: WD Blue 1TB
SSD: WD Blue 250GB

Solution
If the games are on your SSD, then definitely not. And if they're on your HDD, still probably not. Games like to load active data into RAM, not the hard drive. But you can always transfer a game to the SSD just to make sure.

I know Fortnite and PUBG aren't exactly well optimized and Farcry 5 is a Ubisoft title... so it may be an update or bug in the games themselves. Still, to drop for 3 seconds, I suspect it's either the PSU or the graphics card.

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018
Some questions:

1) Are you overclocking?

2) What games?

Well, the order of events would suggest that the CPU is damaged, however that doesn't make too much sense to me. All modern CPUs throttle if the temperature rises too high, to protect it. The motherboard should also have an automatic shutdown if thermals rise too high... unless it was manually disabled? According to the given details, I have my doubts that it's the CPU, unless it's defective.

Anyway, max safe operating temps without shortening the lifespan seem to be "AMD says 75c at less than 1.45 volts. Community says 72c at less than 1.4 volts last I've heard."

According to this, anyway: https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/72grtw/how_hot_can_a_ryzen_3_1200_get_before_shortening/

I'm wondering if it isn't the PSU or graphics card that's causing the issue? Try lowering the settings on your games to see if that either slows the fps interruption interval or solves the issue.

Plugging in another capable, working PSU can help you determine if it's not the PSU that's choking the rest of the system. See if you can borrow one.

May 6, 2018

So I have my cpu overclocked to 3.5 from it's original 3.1 but I still get safe operating temps far below the 70's that the article you linked said would shorten lifespan. My GPU isn't overclocked at all. I do have a alternate GPU I'll try to swap out later and see if the problem still persists, but I don't have a PSU on hand to do so with. As for your question as to which games it happens on, the only games I've tested this on are Fortnite, PUBG, and FarCry5 as it just recently started happening. I will test others but it's mostly these. It seems there could be a relationship between the game having to load in new areas of the map and the FPS drops. Could this possibly be a problem with my Hard Drive?

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018
If the games are on your SSD, then definitely not. And if they're on your HDD, still probably not. Games like to load active data into RAM, not the hard drive. But you can always transfer a game to the SSD just to make sure.

I know Fortnite and PUBG aren't exactly well optimized and Farcry 5 is a Ubisoft title... so it may be an update or bug in the games themselves. Still, to drop for 3 seconds, I suspect it's either the PSU or the graphics card.

Solution