[SOLVED] Random freezes problem / AMD

destra

Prominent
Jun 7, 2021
I rarely ask for help, but after months of losing my mind i no longer know what to do.

Problem summary: My PC will randomly hard freeze, where only power button hard restart will awake it. It can happen during gaming, browsing internet, idle, once it happened in BIOS, few times right after booting. Happens few times a day.

What I've done so far in order to fix it: Scanned PC, Updated Windows, updated all drivers including deleting them via DDU and AMD cleanup Utility, tweaked BIOS and AMD Adrenaline, ran memtest, ran few other memory and GPU tests with no errors, re-seated ram and gpu, physically cleaned pc and parts, rolled back from Adrenaline 2021 to a more stable one from 2019, disabled CStates and Cool'n'Quiet mode, forced VSync on and off, tried removing each ram stick, and many others that I already forgot, nothing seems to have any impact.

2 years ago I had a simillar problem regarding playing Witcher 3, my pc would also hard freeze, I remember I fixed it by making AMD Adrenaline force Vsync ON and then turning Vsync off in Witcher 3, but now those options wouldn't fix my problem, also problem occurs all the time, not because of a specific game.

Specs:
Win 10 64 Pro
RX 570 8gb OC
Ryzen 5 2400g with Vega graphics 11
Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 2x8gb + 2x4gb (24gb)
Gigabyte AB350M - Gaming3
Evga 600 W1

I rolled back nearly everything to factory settings, Im not OCing. Pc and GPU will run perfectly so nothing seems to be damaged, the only problem are random hard freezes. Also my temps are stable.

Event viewer shows only kernel errors, which aren't very helpful.

Thanks for any help.

Solution
There are 4 dimms installed? Do they have the same version number? (the version number, like 4.32 or so, is written on the sticks next to the model number)
2400G is first gen Ryzen and don't like 4 dimms. Is it stable when you only use the 2x 8GB dimms in slot A2 and B2?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? If the system hung up while in BIOS screen, it's highly possible that it could be a thermal issue, whereby the cooler isn't doing it's job or you're having a power issue, whereby the PSU can't deliver power to the entire system. Try and see what your temps are while in BIOS. Take note of them. While here, take note of the BIOS version for your motherboard.

Source a donor PSU with at least 650W of power from a friend or neighbor who owns a reliably built unit and try it out with your platform. If the issue does not persists, then the issue is with your PSU.

destra

Prominent
Jun 7, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? If the system hung up while in BIOS screen, it's highly possible that it could be a thermal issue, whereby the cooler isn't doing it's job or you're having a power issue, whereby the PSU can't deliver power to the entire system. Try and see what your temps are while in BIOS. Take note of them. While here, take note of the BIOS version for your motherboard.

Source a donor PSU with at least 650W of power from a friend or neighbor who owns a reliably built unit and try it out with your platform. If the issue does not persists, then the issue is with your PSU.

PSU is about 3 years old, my system was running just fine with this configuration (except that very simillar problem in past, which I fixed with tweaking Vsync), everything started suddenly. I recently updated my BIOS to the latest (F50d - 07/02/2020) version while trying to fix my problem. Temperatures in Bios as well as during idling/gaming/doing anything else seem to be normal, but I can try and take some notes if you still think it might be the issue.

Edit - I restarted PC right now and temperature in bios are as follows - CPU temp - 40C, System 1 temp 37C, CPU Vcore 1.380V.

Last edited:
There are 4 dimms installed? Do they have the same version number? (the version number, like 4.32 or so, is written on the sticks next to the model number)
2400G is first gen Ryzen and don't like 4 dimms. Is it stable when you only use the 2x 8GB dimms in slot A2 and B2?

Solution

destra

Prominent
Jun 7, 2021

Yes the RAMs are same and worked together for like 2 years. I tried various options such as removing cmos battery, holding power button for 30 secs then puting 2x8 or 2x4 into A2 B2, problem still persists.

Whats interesting is that after my PC freezes and I restart it, it seems to somehow delay next freeze. Say, it freezes once or twice shortly after booting, then usually works properly until I shut it down and then again freezes shortly after booting/waking up from hibernation. It's not a rule but MOST of the time that seems to be the pattern.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Oof. It could be a miriad of things really. To me this issue sounds like it's either a faulty cpu or a faulty motherboard. But as i said, it could be something else too. What you can exclude is imo the psu and the vga. Have you tried running only one stick of memory and see if that happens still? I mean you'd have worse performance and you did run memtest but yeah, just to rule out it's not the actual motherboard ram slot being faulty. If even that doesn't solve it, it's either the cpu or the motherboard. Those kind of freezes can only be caused by either.

Did those issues happened from the get go, or after a specific event?

destra

Prominent
Jun 7, 2021
Oof. It could be a miriad of things really. To me this issue sounds like it's either a faulty cpu or a faulty motherboard. But as i said, it could be something else too. What you can exclude is imo the psu and the vga. Have you tried running only one stick of memory and see if that happens still? I mean you'd have worse performance and you did run memtest but yeah, just to rule out it's not the actual motherboard ram slot being faulty. If even that doesn't solve it, it's either the cpu or the motherboard. Those kind of freezes can only be caused by either.

Did those issues happened from the get go, or after a specific event?

One day I disabled superfetch service, the next day freezes started happening. I reverted superfetch but freezes were still there.

Yes, I believe I tried using and swapping only 1 ram stick, still freezing. Probably not a ram slot fault as I was trying 2x8 gb in both A1B1 and A2B2 (black & red for me)

Someone on other forum suggested getting rid of Corsair ram and getting a different brand from my QVL as they were having simillar issue due to ram being incompatible, but the RAM im using is actually on my QVL as well, that's why Im hesitating with buying different RAM as these things got expensive now and I dont even know if its the RAM problem.