Random Freezes that require shutdown

jaredszat

Honorable
Aug 6, 2016
So I recently built a PC and I have Windows 10, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI motherboard, a gtx 1070, Intel i7 6700, 16gb of corsair ram, and hard drive and ssd, but I have been experiencing some random freezes whether I'm on a game or web browsing. The freeze will freeze on the screen I was on and I have to click the power button on my case to restart it and when it turns back on, its like it never froze. I updated my motherboard bios and I am really confused on why its doing this. Any tips will be appreciated, thanks.

Solution
I had this issue for a long time (stupid windows 10) There are a lot of problems with the OS so the first thing i would try is updating windows (sounds stupid right)

Secondly Microsoft in all their ****** ... "wisdom". Decided to implement p2p updates so in setting - updates & security - windows update - advanced options - choose how updates are delivered , make sure to turn it off (this is a god awful service that absolutely kills any PC.

Then (after updating) task manager - services - (open services at the bottom) - windows update - properties - DISABLE! (because turing it off means turn on later ..... *grumble*)

hopefully that will solve it, however if not

Command prompt (Admin) - sfc /scannow

SqueakySmit

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014

Im having similar issues after upgrading my mobo and cpu

But for me instead of needing to restart it lags for about 5-10 seconds then works just fine... been doing it every other day... sometimes playing games sometimes just surfing the web, iv been keeping an eye on my system vitals and nothing is different for the task i was performing at the time of lagging, any ideas?

I'm going to ask you the same questions... What are your temps while idle? While gaming/browsing? What model power supply do you have?

AceScottie

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
I had this issue for a long time (stupid windows 10) There are a lot of problems with the OS so the first thing i would try is updating windows (sounds stupid right)

Secondly Microsoft in all their ****** ... "wisdom". Decided to implement p2p updates so in setting - updates & security - windows update - advanced options - choose how updates are delivered , make sure to turn it off (this is a god awful service that absolutely kills any PC.

Then (after updating) task manager - services - (open services at the bottom) - windows update - properties - DISABLE! (because turing it off means turn on later ..... *grumble*)

hopefully that will solve it, however if not

Command prompt (Admin) - sfc /scannow

Solution