[SOLVED] Random freezes when online gaming. And how does pinging to router work?

Jan 26, 2022
Sorry if these tpe of questions don't belong here.
First main question: does doing a ping test to the router just tell you about the connection of the computer to the router? Or is it also dependent on the internet? I realized I could probably test it out without interent connection but if anyone knows that would be great.

I am getting random screen freezes/ping spikes when gaming. Mainly league of legends. It happens about every other match. In game it says my FPS drops to zero and ping to 400 or some large number. But that's right after unfreezing. Sometimes the sound gets distorted as well. I'm trying to figure out if it's my computer or internet. I'll start off with my computer, what I've done and then what I'm currently trying.

My computer is an ASUS ROG Strix G15CS Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Octa-Core i7-9700F up to 4.7GHz, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD + 1TB HDD, RTX 2070 Super 8GB GDDR6
ASUS ROG Strix G15CS Gaming... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BVNDHV3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Which I got recently when I moved in to a new apartment, so both my spectrum internet and computer are new. I've tried re-installing windows and drivers. Re-installing the game. Reseting router and modem.eveeything is connected and brand new. And I still get random screen freezes.

In addition, sometimes when I exit the game (or not) while it freezes, the monitor will lose connection. Also,, when I go to a new web page it often says it's unreachable and something to do with DNS servers. It doesn't happen on my work laptop or phone which is why I think it may be a hardware issue.

I have been doing to continously ping tests while Gaming which I stop when I get the screen freeze. One to Google servers to check my internet, and one pinging my routers IP adress. When pinging to Google I lose the signal. At first when pinging to the router I thought there was no change in ping then I realized it jumps to >3000 ms. I am not sure how pinging to router works, but if there is a spike there is it safe to assume that the problem is with the hardware? Somewhere between the router and the computer and not the internet itself?

Please let me know if you've ever encountered this problem or gave any ideas of what to do next. Thank you.

Solution
Hard to say for sure. It could be a issue with the internet connection related to load. What is strange is most times you get packet loss and not delays. Delays would be caused if you were exceeding the bandwidth and the data was being queued.

Maybe try a steam download and set the bandwidth limit for about 1/2 your internet connection and see if you have similar problems.

You could also try hooking the pc directly to the modem which would show if it was something related to the router. Most cables modem you must reboot every time you change what is plugged into them.

What I would do is run a tracert to 8.8.8.8. This is only to get the IP address of the ISP first router. I would leave a constant ping run to your...
The best test would be to leave a ping run to google on a different machine and see if both the same and the other machines are affected at the same times.

That would indicate a actual issue in the internet connection.

Many times if you can ping the router with no issues but have issues with a ping to a internet IP that indicates a problem with the internet connection. It could be the router but that is kinda rate.

A note on ASUS motherboards. Many bundle some crap "gamer" network software. Anything that talks about giving game priority or QoS you want to uninstall. These software can not affect traffic outside the machine and almost nobody has a network bottleneck inside the machine.

Reactions: Magic Reptar
Jan 26, 2022
The best test would be to leave a ping run to google on a different machine and see if both the same and the other machines are affected at the same times.

Many times if you can ping the router with no issues but have issues with a ping to a internet IP that indicates a problem with the internet connection. It could be the router but that is kinda rate.

A note on ASUS motherboards. Many bundle some crap "gamer" network software. Anything that talks about giving game priority or QoS you want to uninstall. These software can not affect traffic outside the machine and almost nobody has a network bottleneck inside the machine.
Thank you. I'm going to try pinging my work laptop at the same time and see if I have a problem there.
When I reset my computer and reinstalled windows I deleted all those programs. I just downloaded the app for my drivers and MSI after burner recently

Jan 26, 2022

I am currently running a ping test and b I haven't noticed a a freeze yet, but I noticed that when I started a game (7days to die) the ping stops being 30ms or so to in the hundreds. Sometimes almost 1000 ms. For both machines

Hard to say for sure. It could be a issue with the internet connection related to load. What is strange is most times you get packet loss and not delays. Delays would be caused if you were exceeding the bandwidth and the data was being queued.

Maybe try a steam download and set the bandwidth limit for about 1/2 your internet connection and see if you have similar problems.

You could also try hooking the pc directly to the modem which would show if it was something related to the router. Most cables modem you must reboot every time you change what is plugged into them.

What I would do is run a tracert to 8.8.8.8. This is only to get the IP address of the ISP first router. I would leave a constant ping run to your router IP and the IP in hop 2 (this is the ISP first router for most people). This is so you can show the ISP you have no issues to your equipment but there are problems when you connect to them.

Solution
Jan 26, 2022

What I would do is run a tracert to 8.8.8.8. This is only to get the IP address of the ISP first router. I would leave a constant ping run to your router IP and the IP in hop 2 (this is the ISP first router for most people). This is so you can show the ISP you have no issues to your equipment but there are problems when you connect to them.
Yesterday I hooked up two machines directly to my router. My work laptop did not experience a ping spike to 8.8.8.8 or my router whenever my computer had a ping spike or packet loss

I'll try doing your other suggestions today.