Question Random Freezes When System is Idling

May 14, 2021
Hello,

My PC has been randomly freezing for the last couple of months, and never under high CPU load. Although, I have had the occasional crashes with games when the GPU is taxed which might not be related. I am using a RTX 2070 with a Ryzen 2700 CPU. After leaving the PC on for a few hours, the PC often freezes in the following manner.

1. If the monitor was left off prior to the freeze, there will be no signal when the monitor is turned on. Power to peripherals is uninterrupted.
  2. If the monitor was on, all GUI applications are unresponsive. The cursor moves but no clicks are registered. Ceratin keyboard action like Win key register on the monitor but others like Ctrl+Alt+Del do not.

I recently downloaded HWinfo64 and obtained the following data. Prior to the crash, there is a spike in D3D memory usage. I don't think this is going to be an easy problem to diagnose but I would really appreciate some pointers as to what else I should monitor or test to try and isolate the cause. If it is indeed a GPU issue, would there be anything I can monitor or test to see that it's potentially hardware-related?

Measures I have taken:.

1. Fresh Install of Windows
  2. Continioulsy Update Graphics Driver
  3. Once replaced Memory card, Memtest shoes current card are okay
  4. Used windows event viewer to try and find any critical errors. Nothing but 41 Kernel-Power from the action of forcibly shutting off the PC with the power button.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Hello,

My PC has been randomly freezing for the last couple of months, and never under high CPU load. Although, I have had the occasional crashes with games when the GPU is taxed which might not be related. I am using a RTX 2070 with a Ryzen 2700 CPU. After leaving the PC on for a few hours, the PC often freezes in the following manner.

1. If the monitor was left off prior to the freeze, there will be no signal when the monitor is turned on. Power to peripherals is uninterrupted.
  2. If the monitor was on, all GUI applications are unresponsive. The cursor moves but no clicks are registered. Ceratin keyboard action like Win key register on the monitor but others like Ctrl+Alt+Del do not.
I recently downloaded HWinfo64 and obtained the following data. Prior to the crash, there is a spike in D3D memory usage. I don't think this is going to be an easy problem to diagnose but I would really appreciate some pointers as to what else I should monitor or test to try and isolate the cause. If it is indeed a GPU issue, would there be anything I can monitor or test to see that it's potentially hardware-related?

Measures I have taken:.

1. Fresh Install of Windows
  2. Continioulsy Update Graphics Driver
  3. Once replaced Memory card, Memtest shoes current card are okay
  4. Used windows event viewer to try and find any critical errors. Nothing but 41 Kernel-Power from the action of forcibly shutting off the PC with the power button.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Most curious that the D3D memory usage spiked right before sleep states. Do you know what process is causing that. Do you have something like Mining software, SETI, or Folding@Home on your machine?

Older PSU's also do not support deep states. This has caused a number of random issues. But most of the time it results in a shutdown because the old PSU controller sees the motherboard is barely using power and assuming it's in a total shutdown state. So it shuts itself off. Every once in a while these older PSU's instead of shutting down cause the computer to lock up.

May 14, 2021
Most curious that the D3D memory usage spiked right before sleep states. Do you know what process is causing that. Do you have something like Mining software, SETI, or Folding@Home on your machine?

Older PSU's also do not support deep states. This has caused a number of random issues. But most of the time it results in a shutdown because the old PSU controller sees the motherboard is barely using power and assuming it's in a total shutdown state. So it shuts itself off. Every once in a while these older PSU's instead of shutting down cause the computer to lock up.
It's a relatively recent PSU. EVGA 550W Gold. It has an eco-mode switch which I have shut off just in case. I used SETI before. I recall removing it and I just checked in case. The issue is really bothering me. I am typing right now after a forced reboot from this frozen state. It might be beneficial to track processes and their usage. Idk if window's resource monitor can be used to see if anything is causing the issue pre-freeze. I'll report back any relevant findings