Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Hello, I currently have a Windows 7 with the following specs:

1x2Gb DDR3 1333(set to 1066) PSD32G13332

ATI HD4850

1TB HD

AMD Phenom II x6 1055T

ASUS M5A97EVO

I have been getting frequent freezes, specially when I am away from the computer. I've read somewhere that it could be my memory timing. It is freaking me out because it is my second computer in the last 9 months and I am seriously thinking of buying an alienware laptop if I can't fix this. If I find a way of getting the money, of course.

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits.

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
Sometime freezes, or screen turns black. I had the same video card. I fixed in two ways.

1. Remove the ATI factory driver and use the default Windows 7 driver. The driver came with the fresh install.

2. Replace the Video card.

Good luck.

DeathScytheBR

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

By removing the ATI factory driver, I must go to the control panel, device manager, etc. etc. go to the video card, drivers tab and click uninstall, right? Wouldn't that make it stop working?

mack1991

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2007
You may want to try upping your memory speed to the rated 1333mhz. I had random crashes with windows 7 64bit because I have 1600mhz and my processor (Phenom 2) didn't support the 1600mhz, I lowered it to 1333mhz and have not had a crash since. Maybe your memory doesn't like being underclocked.

What is the error code you get when you have the crashes? Is it the same all the time?

DeathScytheBR

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

It is pretty random and since I lowered it I've spent some time without crashes. There is no error code, it just freezes.

Well 2GB of RAM + Windows 7 sure isn't helping things along. Rather than 'guessing' the problem(s), open the Event Manger and expand the [+] Critical errors listed and post (here) the findings; see below:

Event_Manager.jpg

DeathScytheBR

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

Source: kernel-Power
Event ID:41
Task Category: (63)

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Source: WMI
Event ID: 10
Task Category: none

"Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected."

Source: EventLog
Event ID: 6008
Task Category: none

"The previous system shutdown at 14:05:14 on ‎11/‎01/‎2012 was unexpected."

Source: DTSAudioService

"The description for Event ID 0 from source DTSAudioService cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: Service started"

Source: WMI
Event ID: 5611

"The Windows Management Instrumentation service has detected an inconsistent system shutdown."

Event 5056, Microsoft Windows security auditing

"A cryptographic self test was performed.

Subject:
Security ID: SYSTEM
Account Name: PIETRO-PC$
Account Domain: WORKGROUP
Logon ID: 0x3e7

Module: ncrypt.dll

Return Code: 0x0"

Event 5038, Microsoft Windows security auditing

"Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid. The file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash could indicate a potential disk device error.

File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Fuel\i386\aoddriver2.sys"

The rest is all about "etc. etc. started successfully"

1. General Shutdown
2. DTSAudioService ; re-install the Audio drivers from ASUS
3. aoddriver2.sys ; re-install the ATI drivers ; Event 5038 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947226

If the 'etc' has more security related issues then IMO you might also have a virus; use ESET Online scanner -> http://go.eset.com/us/online-scanner/run/

Most of this 'stuff' seems to be Windows related than a hardware issue. Worst case, backup all of your Data (Documents. Music, Photos, etc) and do a clean install or at the very least re-install Windows; see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

You also might try Window Repair or if the problems are new the System Restore to an earlier point prior to the problems -> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/startup-repair

My tolerance for Windows errors is very small and I generally waste very little time attempting to 'fix' Windows and have found it's a heck of a lot faster to start from scratch.

DeathScytheBR

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

When I tried installing the ATI drivers, my HD4850 went completely crazy, the fans went to maximum speed and everything started heating up really fast. I think I might have to buy a new video card... Well, at least it is not a new computer.

DeathScytheBR

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

Is the Thermaltake Purepower W0330 550W enough for my system? Because it is the one I'm using...

DeathScytheBR

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

I don't like OC'ing, so that is not the problem. Looks like I'll have to buy a new PSU and GPU. Thanks for the help everyone.

DeathScytheBR

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Thanks. Also, there is something I forgot to tell... we just had a power outage here and the computer shuted down. Manually or not, when it shuts down and I try to boot again, the memOK LED is always on and I have to change the memory's slot or wait 10 minutes. Would it be because of a possible burst of energy coming from the PSU?

Most decent PSU's, Thermaltake included, if there the mid to top of the line have voltage protection. The cheaper are the non: Bronze, Silver, Gold or Platinum models.

If the DRAM light was OFF before and no it's ON then, it seems logical more PSU issues and damage.

Often if folks have a need to know now ... I recommend that they go to the local computer HW shop e.g. Best Buy and find an Open Box (or good return policy) PSU to test with and if the problem is corrected then BINGO. Either keep the PSU, RMA and wait for the old one or buy one right away...

DeathScytheBR

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Ok, so, I installed catalyst with the link you gave me, the computer didn't do the same thing, I just got a black screen. I entered safe mode and deleted the drivers, then I successfully restarted the computer without having to switch memory slots.

At least it fixed something, not sure if it is only that that was fixed tho. But the GPU didn't like that one either...

It could be the PSU and it might be the GPU, unfortunately the only way to determine vs guessing is to replace parts. If you have another PC around then the simplest is to swap the GPU and try it <or> go to the local PC store and find a PSU that's open box or that can be easily returned and try a different PSU.

I have blown-up more ATI/AMD GPU's than I care to remember...one cap get popped then poof you have a useless GPU. In my case, it was caused by a bad PSU so I ended up replacing both :(

DeathScytheBR

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

I guess I'll have to replace both too. If it is a bad GPU it probably damaged the PSU too, because when I used the on-board it was all fine.

Been there and ever since I'm very careful about my PSU choices and at least where I live, Florida, add an UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply aka battery backup). In Florida we have black outs, brown outs and are the lighting capital.

Good Luck and sorry this all happened.

TRENDING THREADS