Random Freezes

G

Hello,

Ive started having problems with random freezing in W2K.
It tends to happen when Im using IE6 or when browsing folders of images on the HDD (my folders are set up as internet pages). The whole system will hang completely and require a hard reset.

Thought it might be a GFX card heat problem but turned out not to be in the end.

I dont want to have to reinstall everything if possible.

Anyone got any ideas / thoughts?

EDIT: Just seen Westgate's post a bit further down... same problem. If you get a solution WG, let me know!

EDIT2: Ok, having looked at more pages on the forum, this seems to be a common problem. Has anyone managed to get any solution to it?

Cheers
Mat

"Thank the thinkers that think they thunk the thoughts that theorised."<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Mat on 04/04/02 03:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

put win2k CD in, hard reset PC, reinstall OS, dont install IE6 ever more, no breblem inda fyucha.

"akuna mutata" braza... :wink:

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
What's your IRQs look like? Probably a lot on 9, and list your hardware. No need to reinstall anything yet, and nothing wrong with IE6.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Nothing wrong with i.e.6 at all, you are running service pack2 I assume ? How about background apps? may well be a heat related prob, may not be, run your pc with the case open for a while, see if it takes longer to freeze.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Case open is worse than with it closed unless your blowing a big fan on it or it can't properly move air.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
Here are a couple MS Knowledge base links I looked up, just copy and paste them (I'm having a simliar problem):

http://msft.kanisasolution.com/search/viewDoc.aspx?docID=KC.Q316059&url=kb;en-us;Q316059&dialogID=500821608&iterationID=1&sessionID=anonymous|500799388

http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q232484

(that one seems to be for IE5, but its what happens to me when I click on links.)

[If loving AMD processors is the path to the Dark Side, consider me a Sith Lord. (dinoX)]