Random freezing 2-3 times daily requries manual restart

Easy_G

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
I built my computer in 2011 and have been running Windows 7 with no problems until two weeks ago. Suddenly, my computer has started freezing at what seem like random times. The freezes are not consistent in how they occur either. Usually it's a standard lock up where everything is frozen, mouse cursor, monitor, etc. This will typically stay frozen until I manually restart. Sometimes it'll comeback from that frozen state after a minute, and then typically freeze again soon after. It doesn't blue screen, and it doesn't restart.

There are a couple of cases where I notice it commonly freezing. One is typing a search in a help file for Mathematica, the other is when typing in a comment box on forums. I can't say for sure if Firefox is always open during the freezes though. It does freeze in other cases as well.

I suspected my SSD drive so I've updated the firmware and done what I believe is the correct procedure for turning of LPM for the hard drive through the registry. The freezing has continued.

Anyway, I'm at a loss for what it is. Here is a screenshot of the past couple days of events. You can see the critical error saying the computer restarted without properly shutting down, but no events before that as a cause.
nBkbYK6.png

Here's my setup:
Windows 7 Professional
MSI P67A-G43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM
EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V
Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III SSD (OS Drive)
Samsung 830 Series SSD (Storage Drive)

EDIT: Just while typing this my computer partially froze (it came back after a few seconds) and now the mouse pointer graphic has become distorted. It's hard to explain, and not sure how to get a screenshot of it, but it's about twice the normal size, blurry, and is strange colors. The computer is also stuttering as well. Usually it would freeze completely though.

Here's a phone pic of the mouse issue:
fpZbOZP.jpg

Solution
Have you tried not using Firefox. I mean, it's easy to get, reinstalling it would be a breeze, if you really want it.

For now though, why don't you uninstall it and use Internet Explorer for a few days and see how you get on.

It would be useful to rule out Firefox.

And if the problem persists, simply reinstall Firefox.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
The freeze suggests to me that the CPU is stopping and is likely to be an over-heating problem.

Does removing the side casing make a difference to how long it takes the first freeze to occur?

Clean your fans and ensure that all airways are free from obstruction.

Any help?

Easy_G

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
I ran memtest86 individually on each stick with no errors. I also ran a memory test utility in the MSI bios that also found no errors.

I will try running with the case open to see. Is it worth noting that I've managed to play games that typically require full CPU fan speed and it was fine for hours, but browsing the internet can cause it to freeze repeatedly?

zink1701

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Cool well thats eliminated the RAM, next tests to try are the CPU and GPU stress tests. Use prime95 or intel burn test for you CPU and as mentioned by himnextdoor keep an eye on temps to rule out overheating (use speedfan, core temp or real temp). Leave the CPU stress test running for about an hour and if no errors or freezing then test the GPU using FurMark or other software. Watch for ant artifacting ect when the test is running. I am also assuming that your drivers are up to date.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood.

Are you saying that sometimes the system 'unfreezes' without you having to restart?

Try to have the Task Manager visible and then get the machine to freeze again. Is there a clue there?

Can you see which process grabs all the resources? Does CPU max out?

Perhaps Firefox installed a plugin that is running in the background.

Try stopping all the start up programs you can using 'msconfig' > Start up. Un-check everything and see if the problem persists.

Easy_G

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

I'll try your recommendations along with zink's.

But yes, maybe 10% of the time the computer stutters and doesn't freeze completely. Usually it freezes and I'm forced to restart though.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
I don't suppose you have a USB mouse or keyboard on the system do you?

If so, how long have you been using them?

Have a little look in Device Manager and see how many mouse or keyboard drivers there are. Disable, don't uninstall. any you don't use.

Easy_G

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

I haven't had a chance to do the heat runs, but I checked my device manager and there is only the one mouse that I'm using there. Logitech G5.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Have you tried not using Firefox. I mean, it's easy to get, reinstalling it would be a breeze, if you really want it.

For now though, why don't you uninstall it and use Internet Explorer for a few days and see how you get on.

It would be useful to rule out Firefox.

And if the problem persists, simply reinstall Firefox.

Solution

Easy_G

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

So I didn't uninstall, but I have switched to Firefox and had no stuttering nor freezing since. Seems like this is the fix. If it changes I'll update the thread though. I may try just reinstalling firefox since I'm finding it hard to part with how customized I had it.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Excellent. I am glad that worked for you.

Let me know if I can assist you further. Good luck. :)