Random freezing and BSODs

Blingbo

Distinguished
May 21, 2015
I have asked this question before ,but this time I'm bumping it up. The PC hard freezes at seemingly random times, i.e. scrolling through youtube, playing video games, using any program. About the BSODs, they've just recently popped up, latest one being whea_uncorrectable_error (turns out its an AS:Origins issue). On to the specs:
Notice: no parts are OCed
FX 8350 + Hyper 212 evo
Kingston HyperX 2x4GB
MSI 970
Corsair VS650
Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3
1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
I'd like to avoid any slow processes if possible (ram testing, clean reinstall, etc.). Last time I tested my RAM I got impatient and reset the PC because it got stuck(?). These issues are recent (last couple months) and veeery annoying if I don't get to save a project or lose game progress. And my PC boot time isn't what it used to be, from 20 secs, it is now at 40-50+. I'd like to mention I keep the case with no side panels, in case I need to plug the CD reader for something (no room from the cable "management"). It is a bit dusty in there, but I clean it every now and then with compressed gas. I've also accidentally put some thermal paste in one of the RAM sockets a few years ago, just a tiny amount, but I moved the sticks to the other 2 slots for safety. I know my CPU is not good and is bottlenecking my GPU, but I can't afford a new CPU, so I'm stuck with these parts for the time being. I'd also like to know if 8GB RAM is enough nowadays, because I'm pretty sure it's not. Most new games hog all my ram and I have to close the browser so I can play them. Any advice/help is appreciated and I hope I gave out enough info.

reboot, and do a complete reinstall of the GPU drivers including the GPU sound drive. Then go to the motherboard vendors website and update the motherboard sound driver.

Then remove any overclocking driver for the GPU and CPU.
make sure to blow out any dust from the PSU,GPU and CPU.

tell us what power supply you have.

most often this bugcheck is caused by overclocking driver, overheating and power fluctuations. Sometimes by old bios versions and power supply problems.

you can provide the minidump file from c:\windows\midump directory
the windows debugger can look to see why windows shutdown your system.

copy the files to a cloud server like Microsoft onedrive, share the files for public access and post a link

Blingbo

Distinguished
May 21, 2015

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18YwLr1aerN2Oci70FRuRB9kRh2KE4_7f - Here's the 4 dumps present in the folder

And if you're referring to the BSOD, that's secondary seeing as it's "exclusive" to Assassin's Creed: Origins. Primary goal here is to help me fix those hard freezes I get every other day. Also, I have stated the PSU in my post - Corsair VS650. I haven't installed any overclocking software since my reinstall last year, the audio driver is up to date (I assume you're talking about the Realtek Audio driver) and I'll reinstall the GPU drivers first thing tomorrow. Cheers

cpu called a bugcheck because of a cache error. Proc 2 Bank 1
System Uptime: 0 days 0:48:28.447
normally, I would expect this to be a heat/voltage problem to the cpu but since there are bios update with microcode changes I would apply them looks like you have revision 3 of the motherboard see below

update bios to current version and install motherboard drivers:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-970A-DS3-rev-30#support-dl

it has cpu patches for the amd CPU

looks like your network driver and motherboard sound driver were already updated from some other source.
-------------
these are too old for your bios version (but should not cause this bugcheck)
old drivers: get update from Logitech http://support.logitech.com/en_us/home
Logitech Camera driver
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\lvrs64.sys Wed Oct 7 01:27:59 2009

Logitech USB Video Class Driver (WebCam)
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\lvuvc64.sys Wed Oct 7 01:28:44 2009

this driver may indicate that your sata controller is in ide mode rather than sata mode
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\amdide64.sys Tue Dec 4 01:49:28 2012
you may check the bios and see what your ide mode is set to. IDE is the old standard, AHCI is the faster version google "how to convert ide mode to AHCI mode in windows" to see how to change it without having to reinstall windows.

here are the dates of the NVidia files: I would go to NVidia website and reinstall the drivers to make sure you have a current matched set.
nvhda64v \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\nvhda64v.sys Fri Dec 15 00:17:43 2017 (5A338527)\SystemRoot\System3\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_048172e9d7cc483d\nvlddmkm.sys Fri Feb 23 11:54:48 2018
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NvStreamSrv\NvStreamKms.sys Sun Mar 4 22:17:15 2018
\SystemRoot\system32\drivers\nvvad64v.sys Wed Dec 13 21:40:29 2017 (5A320ECD)
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\nvvhci.sys Tue Dec 27 17:44:00 2016 (586318E0)

I would remove Smart Defrag (you will just not need this and it could cause issues with the new windows 10 memory compression)
\SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\SmartDefragDriver.sys Mon Dec 23 02:05:52 2013
https://www.iobit.com/en/iobitsmartdefrag.php

machine info:
BIOS Version FD
BIOS Release Date 01/23/2013
Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Product 970A-DS3
Processor Version AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
Processor Voltage 8eh - 1.4V
External Clock 200MHz
Max Speed 4000MHz

Blingbo

Distinguished
May 21, 2015

Ok so I removed smart defrag, set the type to AHCI. And I'd like to understand why there must be a matching set of GPU drivers, do they conflict if they're not matching? Those old cam (logitech) drivers are the only ones i have, the camera is old I might as well just unplug it. And lastly, I seem to be with the latest non-beta BIOS version, there are other types of downloads from the link but I'm not sure which one you mean other than the BIOS. I which case, should I update to the beta BIOS or not? Oh and also, I tried updating it to the "FD" version, which turned out to be already present, and it stated that it does not work with 64-bit windows. This is all I could muster from what you told me

Logitech does have drivers from 2012 (I think)
I only suggested the bios update because of the potential for a fix to the cpu microcode. Which had potential to be the cause of this problem. The 2009 drivers cause problems, I think they respond to packets that are not owned by the driver. I would at least remove the device and driver and see if it has any effect. Normally it would not cause this bugcheck though.

the only reason you want a complete set of binaries for the GPU from the same build is just to reduce the chance of problems. When Microsoft compiles one file and NVidia compiles the rest there is a good chance that there are code changes that will cause problems. changes in the GPU driver can cause the GPU to use different amount of power and could be a source of unstable power to the CPU.

Blingbo

Distinguished
May 21, 2015
Come to think of it hard freezes haven't been around lately, last one was last week maybe. And about that BSOD, I've checked the forums and it turns out that problem only (or mostly) occurs on FX-83XX and I7 6700(k) CPUs. Their only fix is removing some old/useless driver, unplug some peripheral, or reduce/remove OC. If another freeze occurs in the following weeks, I'll document it as much I can. But until then, I'll hope it's fixed itself or maybe I have, who knows.

Blingbo

Distinguished
May 21, 2015
Surprise surprise! It froze again :/
The only thing I was doing at the time was watching a youtube video. Chrome and spotify were open. It's the first freeze in a week or two. We can now write off the camera, the only things that are still present and could be causing problems are those drivers that I haven't got around to reinstalling. I guess it's time to do that. Let me know if you have more suggestions!

TRENDING THREADS