Question Random freezing for a second around once an hour.

GameCrucnh

Commendable
Sep 24, 2020
I get random freezing that lasts ~0.5 - 1 second, it'll happen on Chrome, Discord, and in games. It seems to be random, but happens around once every hour. It's total freezing, where even keyboard/mouse input don't show up until after the freezing is over.

This happened after I installed a (new) 5800x3D, I upgraded from a 5600x, I haven't reinstalled Windows yet.

Things I've tried
  • The DISM and SFC console commands
  • Reinstalling drivers (From AMD/Motherboards website)
  • Resetting BIOS to default settings
  • Running AIDA64 Stability Test for an hour (no errors)
I don't see any errors/warnings it in Event Viewer.

I am on the latest BIOS version (AGESA 1.2.0.7), so it's not that TPM stutter thing AMD had, although I haven't tried disabling it.
I also have a 3080 and 32gb of ram, but my system was running fine with those components before. I also have an 850w Platinum PSU, which should be enough for my system.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

GameCrucnh

Commendable
Sep 24, 2020
To see which programs hog your system resources, by creating a system freeze, download and run Process Explorer,
link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Guide on how to understand it,
link: https://www.howtogeek.com/school/sysinternals-pro/lesson2/

From Process Explorer, you can see under e.g CPU or Disk, at what the spikes are, that freeze your system. Once that is found out, depending on what it is, it's either easy or hard fix.
I encountered a stutter/freeze, but when I checked Process Explorer there wasn't any spike (in either the CPU, Memory, or Disk areas)

I did a similar switch a few months back. Had some funny business (nothing like this) with USB devices, installing the latest chipset driver fixed it. I was a couple versions out of date. Just another avenue to explore if you have not done so yet.

GameCrucnh

Commendable
Sep 24, 2020
May not have to be a spike. Just mark down the freeze time and look from Process Explorer what happened at that exact time.
It just looked like the current process (I.E if it was a game nothing special occurred.)

I also reinstalled Windows (from scratch and onto a different drive) and the same issue occurs

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
For a system to freeze, there must be some computing error or massive computing amount for CPU, that chokes the CPU and freezes entire system, until CPU is able to finish the computation. As of what it exactly is, impossible to tell.

For further troubleshooting, does the freezes also happen when you boot into Safe Mode? :unsure:

GameCrucnh

Commendable
Sep 24, 2020
For a system to freeze, there must be some computing error or massive computing amount for CPU, that chokes the CPU and freezes entire system, until CPU is able to finish the computation. As of what it exactly is, impossible to tell.

For further troubleshooting, does the freezes also happen when you boot into Safe Mode? :unsure:
Could it be a sign of a faulty CPU or memory? I'd assume if there was an issue with them my PC would just bluescreen or shut down though

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
or memory

To test RAM, you need to run memtest86. Bare minimum of 1 full pass (all 13 tests), while 2 passes are better and 4 passes is considered acceptable.
link: https://www.memtest86.com/

Btw, for each 8GB of RAM you have, one full pass takes ~1h. So, better let your PC run memtest86 overnight (when you sleep).

a faulty CPU

If you can boot to OS, CPU and MoBo, for the most part, are fine. Though, BSoD can indicate towards faulty CPU, but it has happened rarely. BSoD usually is to do with software issues.

To test CPU, you can run CPU bench, e.g CinebenchR23 and/or Prime95. Afterwards you get a score and you can compare your CPU score with others, found on net.