[SOLVED] Random freezing & monitors losing signal briefly ?

Aug 4, 2021
For about 6 months now my computer has started to freeze up, drop signal to both of my monitors, play a USB disconnect sound, reconnect, then crash the game I was playing. (No matter what game it is) The freezes only happen when playing certain games, it seems like the games that cause this to happen are usually older, the current game causing the problems is the first Fallout. It also seems to be completely random when the freezes can happen, sometimes it's RIGHT after I interact with something ingame, and other times it'll crash seemingly out of nowhere when I'm fully AFK.
  • Motherboard: MSI B450M Pro-VHD Max AMD AM4 microATX Motherboard
  • CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 32GB (4 x 8GB)
  • PSU: EVGA 850 B5 80 Plus BRONZE 850W
  • SSD: Saberent Rocket 2TB
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super
I've quadruple checked display drivers and USB drivers, I even fully reset windows to try to fix it. I'm leaning towards it being a hardware issue but I don't know what the most likely culprit is. Could it be a faulty GPU? Power supply dying? I don't know, any help is appreciated.

Edit: It's also worth mentioning that when the freezes occur if I'm on a discord call I'm able to hear others but they're not able to hear me for the duration of the freeze.

Last edited:
Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you check and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? Next check and see what OS version you're on. Ideally you should be on version 21H1. As for your PSU, how old is the unit? I think you mean the B5 unit from EVGA, correct? In order to rule out your drivers for the GPU to be the culprit, you're advised to download the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site, have them on the desktop, use DDU to uninstall all your GPU drivers, reboot then manually reinstall your GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

See if that helps. I'd also ask you source a donor PSU from a friend or neighbor who has a reliably built PSU and one that has 650W of...

Lutfij

Titan

Can you check and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? Next check and see what OS version you're on. Ideally you should be on version 21H1. As for your PSU, how old is the unit? I think you mean the B5 unit from EVGA, correct? In order to rule out your drivers for the GPU to be the culprit, you're advised to download the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site, have them on the desktop, use DDU to uninstall all your GPU drivers, reboot then manually reinstall your GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

See if that helps. I'd also ask you source a donor PSU from a friend or neighbor who has a reliably built PSU and one that has 650W of power at the entire system's disposal. EVGA tend to have hit or miss units even within their cream of the crop lineups.

Solution
Aug 4, 2021

See if that helps. I'd also ask you source a donor PSU from a friend or neighbor who has a reliably built PSU and one that has 650W of power at the entire system's disposal. EVGA tend to have hit or miss units even within their cream of the crop lineups.
Thank you for the response! My current windows version is 21H1 and I'm not really sure how to check my bios version for my mobo. I forgot to mention that I've already used DDU to clear drivers, I did that right before the windows reset because it didn't fix anything. And for the PSU I meant B5, I think I've had the thing for 5-6 years now? I'm fairly certain that's the issue, but I wasn't sure if it could cause this VERY specific problem. After some further testing with it I noticed it ONLY happens when games are fullscreen. Since it only happens with old games I suspect it might have something to do with how those games scale up the resolution.