Random freezing on DOTA 2 and Mafia 3

PeerPope

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015
Hi there to all. Allow me explain my predicament in a bit more detail as the problem is slightly more complex than it seems in the title.

I recently noticed that my computer started freezing after a big team fight in DOTA 2, whether I was playing or spectating, I assumed it was due to overheating since my PC desperately needed a clean. Now that it is all cleaned up and new thermal paste has been applied, I still experience the same issue. I assumed it was due to overheating at first because after a hard reset I would quickly relog to avoid getting an abandon and as soon as I did, it would only last a few minutes before the next freeze.

So I started cleaning some more, reseating the cpu and reapplied thermal paste. I followed that up by running a series of stress tests for anywhere between an hour and 5 hours. These tests included memtest, AIDA64 Stability test, Prime95 blend test, Furmark Stress Test and Heaven Benchmark 4.0.

Temps were on average as follows:

CPU max at 58
GPU max at 82
Motherboard max at 34
HDD max at 34

I have also checked Events logs but it only provides information on the fact that I had to do a hard reset.

Also did a format recently and got rid of a faulty HDD.

My specs are as follows:

CPU QuadCore AMD A8-5600K, 3600 MHz (36 x 100)
Powercolor ATI R9 280x 3GB
Motherboard MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 (MS-7721) (1 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 2 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)
RAM: Transcend JM1333KLN-4G (4GB) & Corsair Vengeance CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 (4GB)
HDD WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 (3 TB, SATA-III)
I have one intake fan at the front of my case (RAIDMAX Cobra ATX-502WBG) and 2 exhaust fans at the top as well as one at the back.

I realise my cpu temps are hard to establish as there is real debate as to whether any software can accurately read it, especially at idle temps. I read that AIDA64's temps are the closest to use though.

I also get the same type of freeze after playing Mafia 3 at low graphics and 1080p resolution.

I am at my wits end and I have no idea what else to check or test to find the problem. Currently playing DOTA 2 at lower graphics does not cause the freezes, although that does not exactly make sense to me because I run DOTA 2 at a stable 60 fps (capped) and there isn't even a drop in performance before the freeze.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and if I missed out any important info please let me know.

PS. Wasn't sure under which section to post this.

EchohcE

Respectable
Sep 7, 2016
When you reapply thermal paste, make certain that ALL of the old paste is removed. Use isopropyl alcohol and a coffee filter to ensure it's clean; if there's so much as a fingerprint on either surface, clean it again before you apply thermal paste. Also, make sure that no thermal paste is being pushed out onto the surrounding socket.

EchohcE

Respectable
Sep 7, 2016

True, it would show up immediately during a stress test.
When did you add the second ram stick to your computer? I just noticed they're two different brands.

Also, we need your PSU for a complete picture. You didn't list it in your specs.

PeerPope

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015
I realise the PSU got quite a few bad reviews, only noticed after I bought it.

But it should also cause instability in more cases than just Dota and Mafia right? I played Rust on high for example without ever freezing. Same with Witcher 3. Never had a problem or skipped a beat.

EchohcE

Respectable
Sep 7, 2016
UPDATE: I'm an idiot and didn't see the r9 285 in your specs. The fact that you've got an apu is irrelevant.

Post your voltages under load here to give us a look into what your psu is doing.

PeerPope

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015

http://imgur.com/a/D7uBw

Just quick screen of volts under load for a minute with AIDA64 stability test, as well as running Mafia III in background.

Will that work?

PeerPope

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015

Sorry, I've been away for a while.. Sadly my pc problems have gotten worse.

Basically it constantly freezes as soon as I run any sort of game, old or new, high or low graphics. All my drivers are up to date. Pc has been cleaned and new thermal paste applied etc etc.

There is some good news though, I managed to get a picture with my phone of some of my temps and voltages at the exact moment it froze (well kind of during the freeze actually). I'll post them here and maybe you can see something that I don't?

9OQ23GL

http://imgur.com/9OQ23GL
(The line is from an old screen and not part of the freeze)

PeerPope

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015
I turned down my gpu clock to 500MHz, which is about 50% of what it should be (1080MHz) and it seems to allow me to run things at higher graphics levels without freezing. Only had one freeze on Rust at max settings. I still suspect my psu might not be supplying the necessary power or not supplying it consistently? Is that a possibility?

PeerPope

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015
I tried disconnecting some fans and turned down my Graphics card's power usage.. Still hasn't changed anything, in fact, my pc seems to be getting worse.. Apart from Dota 2 on low settings, I can't run anything else without it freezing at the main menu. At the end of the month I should have the means to replace the part that is causing the problem, thing is, I'm still not sure what it is. It seems to be either the graphics card or psu, and I can't really test the one without the other (seeing as my graphics card is the only thing in my pc that draws enough power to test my psu during heavy loads, and I don't have another psu with high enough wattage to run my system.)

Are there any suggestions short of buying a multimeter or psu tester and testing the psu myself?