Question Random freezing / RAM failing testing

Apr 17, 2019
So I've been having trouble with my desktop randomly freezing where I am unable to input anything other than hard shutting it down. It is extremely frustrating and impossible to predict as far as I can tell.

I have been testing my RAM with MemTest86 and both sticks pass all tests with no errors when put individually in the recommended main slot (DIMMA2). However when testing both at the same time they pass everything but test 13, during which at some random point the program freezes entirely and again I have to hard shut down. I then tested both sticks individually in the other slot I use when using both at the same time (DIMMB2), and both sticks failed test 13, again totally freezing and locking up MemTest.

Since they both failed in that particular slot, does that mean the issue is with the motherboard?

I'm new to this so please let me know if any further info would be helpful. Any help is appreciated, thanks ahead of time.

Specs:
Mobo: MSI B360-A PRO
CPU: Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz
RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Apr 17, 2019
It sounds like it may be.
Does your system freeze under normal usage with 1 ram stick in the good slot?

I would try clearing cmos and trying memtest again.

Sometimes drivers can cause freezes, but that doesnt explain the memtest fail.

I haven't run it normally with one stick, but will for the next few days to see if it runs. I'll also clear the cmos and run the tests again. Will get reply again after trying all that. Thanks!

Reactions: NightHawkRMX