Question Random Freezing/Slowing Down

Apr 7, 2019
I started building my computer about 2 years ago with help from my uncle as he has previously built his own. I am still new to all this and not savvy in it all. For the past 2 years I havent been able to use it at all due to random freezing. It runs perfectly fine and randomly it instantly slows down to a crawl basically freezing completely, lasting anywhere from 15 seconds to 2 minutes frozen. After it unfreezes it starts working normally, but windows response times are incredibly sluggish. If I restart it while its being sluggish or freezing it takes up to 10 minutes to boot back up but if I wait until after its sped back to normal speed it boots up like normal. I have windows 10 pro on it, ive ran memory diagnostic scans no problems, hard drive scans are clean, ive gone through 3 graphics cards made no difference, had my motherboard sent back and fixed (missing and bent pins in processing unit) made no difference. No virus or anything on it either. The freezes are completely random. Its frozen on the desktop while opening windows settings, and 30 minutes into a csgo game, but ran for 2 hours no problem earlier in the day on csgo. When it does the sharp slow down/freeze my cpu activity spikes to 100% and instantly drops to normal once it unfreeze. We have wiped all the apps and downloads and such but didnt maje a difference either. All drivers are up to date. I dont know what else to do!

What I have:
MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti DirectX 12 GTX 1050 Ti 4GT OC 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0x

Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54460 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600

ASRock Z87 Extreme4 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL TridentX Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10D-8GTX

Last edited:

PdxPetmonster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
Are you saturating your memory? You've only got 8gb, not that it's a small amount, but these days it's easy to eat up that amount of memory. Also, is your hard drive doing any massive amounts of caching? I'd open up resource monitor to see if that could give a hint on what is occurring during these slow downs.

Apr 7, 2019
Are you saturating your memory? You've only got 8gb, not that it's a small amount, but these days it's easy to eat up that amount of memory. Also, is your hard drive doing any massive amounts of caching? I'd open up resource monitor to see if that could give a hint on what is occurring during these slow downs.
Ill check tonight once I can and post the results.

Apr 7, 2019
So there's isn't a lot of caching at all, and there is no memory spike during the freeze. Only the cpu spikes.