Question Random Freezing While Gaming. Could it be GPU related?

KidRonin

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
So, for a couple of days or so, I’ve been getting these weird crashes and freezes when I’m gaming. All of a sudden everything freezes. The sounds/music plays on for an additional second or so and then it stops as well. I can’t Alt+F4 into the desktop or bring up task manager, and have to manually restart the PC using the power button. It is so random that it’s difficult to keep track. For instance, at certain times I can play for hours without any issues, but at other times this happens just 20 minutes or so into a game.

This occurs in when playing particular games such as Kingdom Come Deliverance and AC Odyssey. I’ve been playing Sniper Elite 4 as well and it crashes to desktop instead of freezing. Some game on the other hand such as Mutant Year Zero seems to be working pretty fine, as I’ve played it for hours on end without any issue.

My specs are:

Gigabyte GA AB350M Gaming 3 Motherboard

AMD Ryzen 5 2600

TEAM L5 120GB SSD

Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8GB

Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070Ti

At first, I thought this might be a GPU related issue so I rolled back drivers, reinstalled new ones, but no luck. Even a bit of dust cleaning inside the case didn’t help. No event related to the GPU shows up in the Event Viewer as well.

Then I ran a Userbenchmark and this is what I got.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/16372177

Is this issue related to my hard drives as the result shows or is it related to my GPU? Or is it possible that this is another issue entirely? After some advice I even played the games in windowed mode for a while and it didn't crash. However I then switched to full screen and Odyssey crashed after 45 minutes or so. When playing windowed with the task manager active I've noticed my disk usage around 40%s and my CPU is around 70s, occasionally bumping up to 80-90. I'm confused because the graphic settings in these games were the ones I had since I started playing them last year.

Lutfij

Titan
Userbenchmark should be banned from this site. It's only leading to more misinformation for newcomers and people who have little to no clue. I'd get worried about the motherboard you've used since the 2nd Gen Ryzen are known to be power hungry and work ideally on the B450 chipset(in spite of older platforms having BIOS updates to support the newer processors) and then there is the matter about what the make and model of your PSU is and how old it is.