[SOLVED] Random freezing ?

Jul 27, 2022
I recently bought this prebuilt system:

• CPU: Intel Core i7-12700KF 3.6GHz (5.0GHz Turbo) 12-Core 20-Thread
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (Brand May Vary)
  • Chipset: Intel Z690
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz
  • SSD: 1TB PCIe Gen4 M.2 NVMe SSD
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Elite Capellix
  • PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W Gold
  • Case: Corsair iCue 5000x Black
Prebuilt system: https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali595/p/N82E16883360230?Item=N82E16883360230
Speakers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000062VUO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has frozen 3 times so far, prompting me to hold down the power button for a hard reset. Twice it has occurred while watching some vids on youtube, which led my speakers to loop. And once while I was away from my PC.

I was thinking that maybe my psu lacks the wattage, considering the specs and that my speakers are very power hungry (maximum output is 260 watts). Could this be it?
I also reached out to ABS customer service and a representative told me that my mobo is, "going bad," and to update the bios. I don't know if that is the right approach.
But the bios is the one thing that I did not update. I updated all the other drivers, gpu, audio, sata, etc.

What gives? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Solution
D
That PSU is plenty powerful enough.
From my experience, if a PSU lacks power it will drop power and reboot.

Perhaps resetting your BIOS is a place to start. If you have made changes to the setting you will have to re-apply them after resetting it.
Also, updating to a later BIOS if one is available is not a bad idea.

You could also trying these comamnds;

From an elevated command prompt (run as administrator);
SFC /SCANNOW
DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth (if the /scanhealth comes back with issues).

Some other things you could try;

Remove and reseat your RAM
Remove and reseat your GPU
And for good measure, make sure your radiator fans are spinning. The Corsair fan connectors are...
D

Deleted member 2783327

That PSU is plenty powerful enough.
From my experience, if a PSU lacks power it will drop power and reboot.

Perhaps resetting your BIOS is a place to start. If you have made changes to the setting you will have to re-apply them after resetting it.
Also, updating to a later BIOS if one is available is not a bad idea.

You could also trying these comamnds;

From an elevated command prompt (run as administrator);
SFC /SCANNOW
DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth (if the /scanhealth comes back with issues).

Some other things you could try;

Remove and reseat your RAM
Remove and reseat your GPU
And for good measure, make sure your radiator fans are spinning. The Corsair fan connectors are often quite dodgy and will spin the fans at 100% or not at all.

Let us know how you go.

Reactions: KyaraM
Solution

KyaraM

Admirable
I have a similar system (mostly similar hardware, but a 3070Ti instead) and a 750W PSU. Your is more than fine, and honestly, YouTube isn't nearly enough load to cause issues for that PSU if it works correctly. Sounds more like there is a faulty component or driver somewhere, or somethingisn't properly connected. Was the computer well-packaged when it arrived, with a foam pillow inside? Did you check all cables, updated all drivers, etc?

Jul 27, 2022
It seems that, for the time being, the freezing has stopped for whatever reason. I think I'll just leave everything as is. But I am running into a separate issue now so I will have to create another thread. Thank you both! a

Last edited: