Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireprufe15

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
I have a problem where, at random intervals during playing a game, it minimizes to the desktop. I can restore it again, but it is extremely irritating. I don't have AVG, never had, my graphics drivers are up to date and my card is supported by all the games. I've scanned, but my PC is virus clean. This happened a few months ago as well, but it went away. Now it's happening again. It's not isolated to Steam games, but it seems to happen more frequently in them. I've killed Steam while playing non-Steam games, but no difference. I have disabled almost all of the automatic start up programs, leaving only those that keep my PC running. I don't know if it's just me pressing a button or if it's really happening, but it seems like the task manager process list moves when it minimizes, so maybe a program that runs and then closes?

My system:
- Geforce GTS 250
- 4 GB RAM
- Core i5 650 3.2 Ghz
- Windows 7 Professional 32-bit

I don't know why it went away, and came back. Please help!!!!

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Are you hitting the windows key on the keyboard? I had the problem with a laptop where my palm kept hitting the touchpad...but you won't have that problem. You also aren't secretly alt tabbing? Other than that I'd just play windowed until you see the issue :9

Fireprufe15

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Nope, no hitting the windows key and no alt-tabbing. It even sometimes happens when I leave the game on and go do something else, when I'm back it's minimized. I have no idea whats wrong, the internet has no answers.

Fireprufe15

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
It happens whenever I play a game in fullscreen, active or not. I don't have a screensaver, and my wallpaper is stationary, not a slideshow or something. Could Aero be causing this?

kveldulf

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
When did this problem start occurring?

Are you all updated with drivers and windows updates?

Aero can be shut off btw by simply going to personalize desktop and navigating to theme selection. Click on basic.

I'm running windows server atm, so I had to install the aero goodness (doesnt come installed)... one of the steps requires a service to be turned on... I believe the service was called Themes service. try turning it off.

It won't be "permanent"

Fireprufe15

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Ive tried without Aero, but it still happens. It started happening frequently when I installed Skyrim, but has happened previously to Skyrim as well and went away after some time. I'm fully updated and I turn my Norton antivirus off during gaming. What can be doing this? I'm starting to think that the only fix is a reformat, but I really don't want to do that. Is there some program I can run that logs what programs are coming active? That way I can run it while playing the game so it can tell me what program executes when the game minimizes. Would a HighJackThis log help me find the problem? What other suggestions do you have? Could it be a graphics card, CPU or RAM fault?

Fireprufe15

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Thank you, I found out using Game Booster that my problem is something of OneNote that autoruns. Makes sense now since I uninstalled Microsoft Office around the time it stopped. Made that connection now. Thank you techmage.

Status
Not open for further replies.