Random GPU crash?

yoshimania

Reputable
Oct 6, 2015
Hey guys,

I was just playing some League of Legends on my brand new gaming computer and all of a sudden the screen turned black and the speakers started making this really random sound. The strangest part is that the computer didn't turn off. This is really confusing because typically when a crash happens the entire system either shuts down or restarts so I have no idea what happened and I would really like some help. At the moment, I think it had something to do with heat but the the thing is I have A. I have a graphics card with 2 fans, a CPU fan, and 2 case fans, B. I was playing League of Legends which is not graphically intensive at all, and C. The computer was running fine there was nothing wrong and then BOOM, it crashes. The computer turns back on, and I really have no idea what happened, so any recommendations? Should I go and make sure all the wires are correctly plugged in or what? Thanks for the help.

Yoshi

Solution

l33tabix

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
Check the PSU and make sure it can support your graphics card's requirments. I would not turn on the pc until this problem is fixed as there is a (Be it small) Risk of injury. Check the cables to the moniter and speakers are fully connected and the graphics cards are properly installed. I would also get a water cooling system installed but thats my preference and could cost a bunch. Hope I helped

45 magnum

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

Firstly unplug it from the electric mains.

if you can, pull out your sticks of ram and reinsert them in the same spaces but blow some air in the ram ports to make sure no dust is there, if they are matching sticks of ram you can switch them round but if they are not matching dont do that.

If you have access to another PSU that has enough power try that, you dont need to fully install it in the system, it can just sit at the side wired up.

then I would be looking at the graphics cards or overclocking, check all connections from and to the graphics card and even re-seat it too in its port again making sure everything is very clean, if the cpu or ram are overclocked and this continues to happen then make sure to drop the overclocks to stock speeds and run like that for a while.

Lastly, is you computer very dusty inside, some peoples are, its a common thing, sometimes a build up of dust can cause problems, that all needs cleaned out at least once per year I would say depending on how dusty your place is.

And one thing I forgot, try the game at much lesser graphical settings levels too just in case that could be a problem, I doubt it though.

Good luck.

Solution

yoshimania

Reputable
Oct 6, 2015

Turns out the 24 pin motherboard cable was not locked in tight enough. Thank you both for your help!

45 magnum

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

good, I'm just glad it was something so simple, often it is the most simple things and we all think its something more drastic straight away, anyways, have happy times with the pc :)