Question Random GPU crashes, stuttering, losing video signal

Nov 18, 2022
Hello everybody, first post of this kind so bear with me.

First of all my specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Elite 570x
CPU: Ryzen 5800x
Cooler: DarkRock 4
GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Suprim X LHR (Bought in July 21)
PSU: Bequiet Straight Power 750W
RAM: G.SKILL Aegis Black 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 DIMM
Drive: Relevant Data on Samsung EVO 970 500gb
Windows 10 Version 2004 (Build 19041.1165)
Newest Nvidia Driver (Currently Version 526.98)

None of the Hardware is overclocked (except standard XMP profile for RAM), GPU is running in Silent Mode (instead of gaming mode, little switch on the physical card to toggle it)

Now what happend:
I have recently encountered some weird behaviour, most likely stemming from GPU/MOBO/PSU. A few days ago I was playing an old non demanding game and wanted to let it run over night, so I just turned off the monitors and let it run. Turned out that as soon as I did that, the PC apparently "crashed". When I looked at it the next morning I turned both my monitors back on as usual (I've done this countless times already, never been an issue) but didn't get a video signal. The rest of the PC was still on, although I disconnected ingame, all peripherals were still lighting up, same with the RGB on the GPU. Pressing the Power Button alone wouldn't work so I forced the shutdown by holding the powerbutton.
Fast forward a day or two and suddenly the same thing happened multiple times just randomly in the middle of doing something, so doesn't seem to be connected to turning the monitors on/off, might've been a coincidence that it happened shortly after. (A friend who was still online told me that I disconnected ingame, shortly after leaving).
Now today I suddenly have 100% GPU load most of the time while playing that game and tested a few others like LoL which usually only uses around 20% of my GPU power, suddenly that too uses up 100% and I get tons of stuttering ingame, had some artifacts on youtube videos too.
This comes and goes though, it is not a permanent thing.

For the crashes I got the same two errorcodes in the Eventviewer every time: BugCheckCode 278 or none at all (BugCheckCode 0)

I have recorded with GPU-Z while benchmarking with unigine heaven, both while stuttering and once while it seemed to go fine (started stuttering towards the end). How would I best make these logs accessible to y'all?

I have tried:
Nvidia Driver Rollback
Nvidia Driver fresh install
Un-replugging GPU/checking for visual errors/un-replugging cables/

Any ideas?

Nov 18, 2022
Hello everybody, first post of this kind so bear with me.

First of all my specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Elite 570x
CPU: Ryzen 5800x
Cooler: DarkRock 4
GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Suprim X LHR (Bought in July 21)
PSU: Bequiet Straight Power 750W
RAM: G.SKILL Aegis Black 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 DIMM
Drive: Relevant Data on Samsung EVO 970 500gb
Windows 10 Version 2004 (Build 19041.1165)
Newest Nvidia Driver (Currently Version 526.98)

None of the Hardware is overclocked (except standard XMP profile for RAM), GPU is running in Silent Mode (instead of gaming mode, little switch on the physical card to toggle it)

Now what happend:
I have recently encountered some weird behaviour, most likely stemming from GPU/MOBO/PSU. A few days ago I was playing an old non demanding game and wanted to let it run over night, so I just turned off the monitors and let it run. Turned out that as soon as I did that, the PC apparently "crashed". When I looked at it the next morning I turned both my monitors back on as usual (I've done this countless times already, never been an issue) but didn't get a video signal. The rest of the PC was still on, although I disconnected ingame, all peripherals were still lighting up, same with the RGB on the GPU. Pressing the Power Button alone wouldn't work so I forced the shutdown by holding the powerbutton.
Fast forward a day or two and suddenly the same thing happened multiple times just randomly in the middle of doing something, so doesn't seem to be connected to turning the monitors on/off, might've been a coincidence that it happened shortly after. (A friend who was still online told me that I disconnected ingame, shortly after leaving).
Now today I suddenly have 100% GPU load most of the time while playing that game and tested a few others like LoL which usually only uses around 20% of my GPU power, suddenly that too uses up 100% and I get tons of stuttering ingame, had some artifacts on youtube videos too.
This comes and goes though, it is not a permanent thing.

For the crashes I got the same two errorcodes in the Eventviewer every time: BugCheckCode 278 or none at all (BugCheckCode 0)

I have recorded with GPU-Z while benchmarking with unigine heaven, both while stuttering and once while it seemed to go fine (started stuttering towards the end). How would I best make these logs accessible to y'all?

I have tried:
Nvidia Driver Rollback
Nvidia Driver fresh install
Un-replugging GPU/checking for visual errors/un-replugging cables/

Any ideas?

Well I RMAd my GPU and now it seems to run fine

TRENDING THREADS