Question Random hangups

deadlegacy6

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015
Hello,

About a year and a half ago I bought a MSI Infinite X Plus 9SF-270US gaming desktop with the following specs and run a dual monitor setup 1440p.
  • Intel Core i9 9th Gen 9900K
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GDDR6
  • 32 GB DDR4
  • 512 GB PCIe NVMe SSD
  • 2 TB 7200 RPM HDD
About seven months ago I started getting an issue and have been trying to google repeatedly to research the issue and have come up completely empty. Everyone I've spoken to doesn't seem to have any ideas.

I will be in the middle of a gaming session or sometimes simply opening a folder and the same happens. I will get a complete system hangup for about 3-6 seconds including all audio cutting out until it comes back on. Occasionally my monitors will go completely black during this, but that is not always the case. Of course this seems to happen at the complete worse times and tends to end in my death in a game. Like I said this can happen from simply opening a folder or the calculator on windows etc.

I have updated the nVidia drivers, windows 10 is completely up-to-date, I have tried numerous complete system wipes, etc. I am at a complete loss and really don't want to have to buy a new computer this soon after spending $3,000 on this computer not so long ago.

Any insight would be fantastic.

Thank you,
- Jim

About a year and a half ago I bought a MSI Infinite X Plus 9SF-270US gaming desktop with the following specs and run a dual monitor setup 1440p.
  • Intel Core i9 9th Gen 9900K
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GDDR6
  • 32 GB DDR4
  • 512 GB PCIe NVMe SSD
  • 2 TB 7200 RPM HDD

are GPU drivers current? MB BIOS up to date? is anything overclocked?

when you are getting these random hangups as you say (while gaming or browsing) and the screens go black for 3-6seconds? is the PC (display on monitor) coming back on and everything is normal again or is the PC restarting completely?

there are a few things on the software level that I'd check before starting to throw new parts at it.
let us know and we can hopefully find you a solution.

also what PSU are you using?

deadlegacy6

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015
are GPU drivers current? MB BIOS up to date? is anything overclocked?

when you are getting these random hangups as you say (while gaming or browsing) and the screens go black for 3-6seconds? is the PC (display on monitor) coming back on and everything is normal again or is the PC restarting completely?

there are a few things on the software level that I'd check before starting to throw new parts at it.
let us know and we can hopefully find you a solution.

also what PSU are you using?

Hello,

Yes my GPU drivers are current. I haven't updated my BIOS since I have gotten the computer, but will update them now. Nothing is over clocked. Edit: Bios version is currently up to date.

The screens go black for typically 3-6 seconds and the displays / audio comes back on and everything is semi normal. Discord people cannot hear me or I hear them until I reset the input/output settings in discord. I have tested this after a complete system wipe without having discord installed and still happens. The computer doesn't restart.

I am not entirely sure what PSU I am using as it is the stock one that came with.

https://us.msi.com/Desktop/Infinite-X-Plus-9th/Overview is the computer that I have model MSI Infinite X Plus 9SF-270US.

I hope there is some type of solution we can work out as this has been driving me completely nuts.

Thank you!

Last edited:
so I have to assume that as a pre-built from MSI that thing while is a perfectly good computer, it has to be pre-loaded with a bunch of JUNK software (my opinion) that may be causing a possible software conflict. I personally, based on the info that you provided would perform a clean windows 10 install. while it is not extremely difficult, it can be overwhelming if you have never done it before as there certain situations that may arise and if you aren't sure how to handle them it may feel like it'll never get done. and when that is done (win 10 install) you want to download updates, chipset and GPU drivers, and other software that you were using previously.

deadlegacy6

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015
Yes this is a prebuilt by MSI. I have twice previously done a complete system wipe and reinstall and the issue persists. It just happened two minutes ago and under the reliability monitor nothing was indicated and the same under event viewer the only thing that was within the last five minutes was Audit Success. in the Windows Logs > Security. Nothing else recently at all. As far as applications go when I last reinstalled Windows I went in and removed everything that I do not use.

Not having anything show under the Reliability monitor or Event viewer is partially why I have been incredibly confused. Since this computer is 18 months old and other than this one issue works perfectly fine.