Question Random hard freeze after startup

Wolfe_3310

Reputable
May 12, 2017
I just built a pc for my friend to get into gaming with some spare parts lying around a bought what I could afford, but its having a constant freeze after turning on. Sometimes its at the bios screen and sometimes its a few minuets after logging in, the most constant its crashed is while trying to play a game. I've tested the ram with memtest86 (all passed), changed the hard drives to known good ones and the power supply unit is brand new. My first thought was that its over heating, and I checked temps and its sitting at 95F (idle/lowest) to 131F (max/while stressed during gameplay) not sure if those are normal temps. But my only guesses are either the CPU or motherboard is bad, cause they are the only ones used that I can't really test.

Motherboard : Asus Z87-k
CPU : Intel i5 - 4460
GPU : NVIDIA Geforce GTX 960
RAM : 4x 4GB sticks (not sure what brand where laying around with motherboard)
PSU : EVGA 600w

Last edited:

Wolfe_3310

Reputable
May 12, 2017
Which?

You could try to flash the mobo bios to the latest and install the windows 10 in uefi only. bad ram sticks could cause it, i know a person who tought that the slots were bad, but it was the ram sticks, after periods of testing each sticks.

Power Supply is a EVGA 600w

I'm gonna go ahead and flash the bios and see what happens, I'm just a little confused on what you mean on install windows in uefi only? is it an option on the installation disk?

Power Supply is a EVGA 600w

I'm gonna go ahead and flash the bios and see what happens, I'm just a little confused on what you mean on install windows in uefi only? is it an option on the installation disk?
In the bios, turn off any Legacy related options for boot (except OROM, let it be on Force Bios). Disable CSM, set the windows to windows 8 whql, set boot to UEFI only (if there is none, skip this one). and then you're good to go to install windows.

Wolfe_3310

Reputable
May 12, 2017
In the bios, turn off any Legacy related options for boot (except OROM, let it be on Force Bios). Disable CSM, set the windows to windows 8 whql, set boot to UEFI only (if there is none, skip this one). and then you're good to go to install windows.

So as I was trying to do your steps, I ran into a few snags.
  1. I couldn't find any legacy boot options except for the ones inside the CSM settings
  2. My bios doesn't have windows whql settings
  3. I couldn't find any options to set boot to uefi besides the ones in CSM settings
All I could do was disable csm and I left on force bios

As I was running speccy to make sure what motherboard model I had for the bios flash, I noticed my motherboard temp was at 115C and I'm concerned its way too hot for normal motherboard temps

Wolfe_3310

Reputable
May 12, 2017
Sorry for the late reply, well yes :D.

maybe you could use hwinfo for the more detailed temperature listings

No worries on the late replay, but as I was going to reinstall windows with CSM disabled it gave me the error

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks"

No worries on the late replay, but as I was going to reinstall windows with CSM disabled it gave me the error

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks"
you could just delete the partition (under the partition list) click that partition tht contains windows and press delete, and proceed install.

here is the drives, they are currently occupied cause i had to reinstall windows with csm on but its the same as it was with csm disabled, it was just the two drives on the list
View: https://imgur.com/9b5KhiU
that is what i meant, you delete that partition (press the x icon under the list, next to refresh), and proceed installing windows, just make sure you reset bios settings to default, make sata mode to ahci and csm disabled, then do the installation (delete drive 0 partition 1).