[SOLVED] Random Hard Freezing on New Build

Sanegency

Prominent
Feb 25, 2019
I just got my PC up and running. It works flawlessly for the most part, but I've experienced 3 hard freezes in as many days while using the system, and I'm not sure what's causing it.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X
Cooler: Wraith Spire
MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix B450-f Gaming
GPU: ZOTAC RTX 2060
RAM: Patriot Viper 4 16GB 3200 MHz
Storage: 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500Gb SSD, 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
PSU: EVGA 650 B3

Two of the freezes occurred out-of-game while scrolling the web, and one occurred while trying to run Minecraft in window alongside YouTube. All my other games have run flawlessly so far. My temps are fine, using MSI Afterburner I recorded max temps in the low-to-mid 60s playing The Witcher 3 on Ultra. All my drivers and my BIOS are up to date, and I'm running an unactivated 64-bit Win10 with all new parts. Any ideas what might be the issue?

Last edited:
Solution
Update to include all the information I have.

The crashing program seems to have stopped. The only three things I did that could possibly have solved the issue are reinstalling my gpu driver, reinstalling my chipset driver, and turning off hardware acceleration in my browsers. Since all but one of my crashes were on or related to YouTube, I would have to guess it was hardware acceleration that was causing the issue. I don't expect to see the problem again, so I'll mark the thread solved. Thanks for reading.

Sanegency

Prominent
Feb 25, 2019
Update to include all the information I have now:

The system continues to freeze. I have encountered a number of freezes (no crashes, just freezes). Though some games such a Battlefield V have stuttered, I haven't seen any freezes in-game so far. All but two of my dozen-plus freezes have occurred on YouTube, in which case the video's audio continues to play while the screen freezes and the mouse and keyboard stop responding. The other two crashes occurred while attempting to close Battlefield V and while attempting to run Minecraft in a half-screen window alongside a YouTube video, both with similar symptoms. The Windows memory diagnostic tool returned no errors with my ram, and the windows event log shows no errors or failures besides the fairly benign Event 10016 before or after any of my freezes.

I've been told it's a ram issue as my ram isn't on the QVL for my motherboard, but I've also been assured that 'most' ram should work on a 400-series mobo with XMP enabled. I've seen a thread or two on here from a while back suggesting that these issues can also be caused by a faulty motherboard. I'm really not sure what I need to replace and I don't have a lot of cash laying around if I guess wrong or if multiple parts turn out to be faulty. Is there anything you can tell me about what to do?

Sanegency

Prominent
Feb 25, 2019
Update to include all the information I have.

The crashing program seems to have stopped. The only three things I did that could possibly have solved the issue are reinstalling my gpu driver, reinstalling my chipset driver, and turning off hardware acceleration in my browsers. Since all but one of my crashes were on or related to YouTube, I would have to guess it was hardware acceleration that was causing the issue. I don't expect to see the problem again, so I'll mark the thread solved. Thanks for reading.

Solution