[SOLVED] Random hard restart that only happens once each time I boot up my pc

shoelessbeats

Prominent
Dec 19, 2018
Bit of an odd one here. When I turn on my pc, It will hard restart about 6 ish hours later. It will only do it once and wont do it again until I have turned off my pc and back on again. I can leave my pc on for a week and It wont hard restart, but the minute I turn it off and on again...boom...hard restart around the 6 hr mark, give or take.

Specs:
MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
GTX 1080
Hyper X 32gb
CX550 PSU
WIN 10

Solution
See if turning fast startup off makes any difference - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Could be a old driver that doesn't like win 10's new start method. With fast startup turned on, PC isn't off when you shut it down, its sleeping. It uses a hybred hibernate mode where it saves a copy of all running drivers into ram + a copy of windows kernel, so when PC starts its already got half the files it needed loaded. This is great for drivers written for the mode but can cause havoc with older drivers.

that is a strangely specific crash time, look in Scheduled Tasks and see if anything set to run 6ish hours after startup

Colif

Win 11 Master
See if turning fast startup off makes any difference - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Could be a old driver that doesn't like win 10's new start method. With fast startup turned on, PC isn't off when you shut it down, its sleeping. It uses a hybred hibernate mode where it saves a copy of all running drivers into ram + a copy of windows kernel, so when PC starts its already got half the files it needed loaded. This is great for drivers written for the mode but can cause havoc with older drivers.

that is a strangely specific crash time, look in Scheduled Tasks and see if anything set to run 6ish hours after startup

Solution

shoelessbeats

Prominent
Dec 19, 2018

Sorry for the late reply. Christmas had me busy. I have turned off fast start and will get back to you. cheers for the response

Colif

Win 11 Master
have a look in reliability history and see if any red X around the time of errors. Its probable there is one about shutting down wrong, that is normal if PC is resetting itself, but any others might offer us a clue as to what is happening.

shoelessbeats

Prominent
Dec 19, 2018
Ok. So it just happen and reliability history x says RtkUWP.exe stopped responding. From looking at all the red X's from the last few weeks, its seems to always be the same reason and that is RtkUWP.exe.

Colif

Win 11 Master
RtkUWP.exe = Realtek Audio

Do you have latest version off your motherboard web site? with an MSI motherboard, you could use MSI live update 6 to confirm drivers or just go to the listing here - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC#down-driver&Win10%2064 (LIve update 6 is on the utilities tab)

the newest version of Realtek HD Universal Driver is from December and has this note under it - Must update Nahimic 3 in Microsoft store after updating Realtek HD Universal Driver.

shoelessbeats

Prominent
Dec 19, 2018
Ok, I've downloaded MSI live 6 and updated a bunch of drives including Realtek. I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers for the help :)