Question Random Hardfreeze - Tried Just About Everything

Mar 8, 2019
Hello,

Ive been having completely random hard freezes for about the last 2 months on my desktop PC. What happens is the screen completely freezes, no blue screen of death or anything. Just freezes and eventually powers down. These random freezes can happen at any time; gaming, watching youtube, idle at desktop, even freezing before windows gets a chance to load up. I also get them when I am running in Safe Mode. Sometimes I can go a couple weeks without the freezes. Sometimes they happen once or twice a day. And sometimes they will happen every 5 min.

Also, something very interesting happens when my PC freezes.... I work from home fairly often and I set my work laptop up next to my desktop monitor. My desktop is connected to the internet via an ethernet cable, so no wifi. However, my work laptop is connected to wifi. Anyways, when my PC hardfreezes it disrupts the wifi signal in my house and disconnects my laptop from my work network.

I have read about 100 posts on this site to try and narrow it down but I havent had much luck.

Here is what ive done so far:

I have ran about every scan and stress test known:
Intelliburn: It will survive intelliburn except for the maximum stress test.
Intel CPU diagnostic tool: Passed
Windows Memory Checker: Passed
Memtest: Past multiple tests
Stress tested the GPU/CPU and passed.
/SFC Scannow passed
Froze during a prime95 test however no log file was generated so it is not known why it crashed.
Tested hard drive multiple times and it looks good.

Hardware troubleshooting:
I have two 8 gig sticks of Ram. Ran both individually and in separate slots. Froze on every configuration.
Tested the voltages with a multimeter. Everything was within spec.
Bought a PSU checker and it checked out ok
Opened case and blew out a TON of dust and dirt.
Reseated GPU
Disconnected the GPU and used onboard graphics-still froze
Bought a SSD and did a fresh install of Windows and it freezes. The only thing installed is steam and Planetside 2.
Monitored temps and all temps are well within reason.
Downloaded drivers
Updated BIOS
Flashed BIOS

Here are my PC specs. I built this PC in 2012 and have not had a single problem with it in all these years...

CPU: Intel i5-3570k
Motherboard: MSI ZZA-GD55 (MS-7751)
GPU: NVIDIA MSI 660
Memory: 2x8GB G.skill Ripjaw DDR3-1600
PSU: Corsair 600GS
HDD: WD 1TB
SDD: Samsung Evo 250GB
Keyboard: CMSTORM
Mouse: Corsair Glaive
Monitor: Samsung SA550
Speakers: Old Boston's from like 2002

Finally, I havent been able to get the PC to give me a crash dump file. I have tried to set it up but it never leaves anything.

The Event viewer usually only shows an improper shutdown error, but I can post what I have if that helps.

As you can see, I really have tried to troubleshoot this the best I can. I hope someone can give me a hand here because Im about ready to build something new. The only problem is, there arent any games worth building a new PC for these days :p

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

TRENDING THREADS