Question Random hardlock/freezes ?

Tommy Walker

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
Rather peculiar problem that I have not encountered before therefore I've come here for help before I start spending money.

This has started happening maybe 2 days ago. The freezes/stutters that I experience completely hard lock my PC to the point where even I/O doesn't respond. On the Event Viewer the only evidence of a hard lock is my Ethernet Controller resetting that comes as a warning.

Let me list the things I've tried myself,

• I've ruled out the PSU even though that was my first suspect, I borrowed my friends PSU the issue is still present. I've had GPUs die on me before with plethora of graphical glitches yet I've not seen any of the symptoms present here. CPU could be an issue but I am doubtful, I've used CPU-Z to stress test CPU with an attempt to recreate the freeze but it didn't happen. Temps are fairly low CPU on idle is around 38c on full load for multiple hours 60-65c. GPU is also running on low temps.
  • I've done multiple Disk checks and RAM checks with no errors, I've done RAM checks with one or the other stick in, still 0 errors came back.
  • I've checked plenty for any forms of viruses with different anti-virus software, and manual look through all running programs and programs that boot with OS, with no results.

Now to explain the actual freeze a bit more, the longevity of the freeze can be from just a couple of seconds to upwards of 5-10 minutes, and after that everything resumes as normal. Sometimes when it lasts for only a couple of seconds I can barely move my mouse while the screen is frozen albeit very stuttery and sluggishly, this is not the case every time a freeze is short. I've yet to experience a complete hard lock requiring a complete restart, I've not experienced a single BSOD, while the PC is locked up I/O is frozen as well, CapsLock NumLock and ScrollLock do not work at all

Now the only thing left is the motherboard, it is incredibly old. I've been using it for the last 9 years. Nothing on my PC is as old as the motherboard. I am fairly certain that the Motherboard is the culprit but frankly speaking I am completely stumped, the fact that I've received 0 system responses to the stutters is puzzling, there are no spikes in usages whether on the Disks, RAM, CPU or GPU at the moment of the freeze occurring.

Specs:
CPU: i5 3570(non-k)
GPU:GTX 1060 3GB
MOBO: MSI H61M-P23(B3)
RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR3
600W PSU
I have 1 SSD and 2 HDDs

Lutfij

Titan
600W is the advertised wattage of the unit. You will need to mention the make and model of the unit as well as the age of the unit in your build. As for your issue, while sourcing another PSU to troubleshoot, can you mention the make and model of the donor PSU and it's age? If you're able to get into BIOS, see if you can remain there indefinitely...and while here, take note of the BIOS version.

Often times, when all parts are in good order, the VRM on the board could be the parts that are failing and causing instability/lockups. That's to assume that there's nothing wrong with your OS or the rest of your components. As for that assumption, what OS are you working with and what version(not edition) are you on if you're on Windows 10?

Tommy Walker

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
Yeah I obviously forgot to mention a couple of things. My PC is running on Windows 10 Pro version Build 19042.
This is the PSU I am using LC600H-12. I've been using it for the last 6-7 years.
The PSU my friend gave me is ms industrial platinum 500 v5. It's around 2-3 years old.
For the BIOS ver. I'll have to check right now.