Question Random high gpu temperatures/usage in games

ninjapanda909

Commendable
Aug 16, 2017
Like the title says, whenever I'm in a game my gpu will just randomly have high temps, as in one second its 70° and then the next its stays on 90°+ for a inconsistent amount of time, sometimes it stays at 90° for a couple seconds/mins and drop back down or stay like that until I close the game. Also, once it reaches the high temps the gpu usage also spikes up to 100%, making the game play at around 12fps or even lower. At first I thought I was playing too demanding games (Monster Hunter World, Modern Warfare, Rainbow), but this still happens on low end games (csgo and team fortress 2). The thing is, this doesn't happen all the time, as in, I could play the high end games normally and never experience frame issues/high temps, or have high temps on almost all games the next day. To give an example of the randomness, I was playing Modern Warfare with my room temperature being around 56° fahrenheit and I was able to play about 3 games of quickplay on it until the 4th game when the temperature started to rise as well as the gpu usage, making the game pretty much unplayable(there was no gradual climb when it came to the 4th game, the temp stayed the same through out the 3 games until the 4th one). Is there a fix to this?

PC:
HP Compaq Elite 8300 Small Form Factor
Replaced gpu with - gtx 1050 ti
Replaced hard drive with - seagate barracuda 2tb

Lutfij

Titan
First, how old is the system? How old is the PSU? I'm assuming that the PSU might not be feeding enough power to the GPU, in fact the entire system with the GPU populating the system should be working off a 350W unit(at the very least). The unit came with a 320W unit and after all these years and usage scenarios it's probable it can't output have that amount.

Jun 29, 2019
Have you checked on your fan in the SFF casing and see if it's working properly? Since everything is crammed into small space, airflow is one of the major concern in SFF.

ninjapanda909

Commendable
Aug 16, 2017
First, how old is the system? How old is the PSU? I'm assuming that the PSU might not be feeding enough power to the GPU, in fact the entire system with the GPU populating the system should be working off a 350W unit(at the very least). The unit came with a 320W unit and after all these years and usage scenarios it's probable it can't output have that amount.
I’ve had the pc for about 2 years now but only had the gpu on it for 1 year. It was a refurbished pc as well (not sure if that affects anything)

ninjapanda909

Commendable
Aug 16, 2017
Have you checked on your fan in the SFF casing and see if it's working properly? Since everything is crammed into small space, airflow is one of the major concern in SFF.
sorry for late reply, all of the fans are working fine, but there was a LOT of dust in the case, i cleaned out the dust but the same problem still happens (most of the dust was in the front panel of the case)