Random instant computer freezes, no BSOD, new build

Pc-Pete

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015
Hi all. I hope this is in the correct category, please correct me if I'm wrong!

Recently got a new pc, will put the specs below, but first a description of what's going on.

I have the pc for about a week now, and from the beginning I've experienced random freezes. If I'm listening to audio whilst this happens, the audio stutters. If, however I'm not listening to any sound, there's no audio, just a solid frozen screen. Buttons such as caps lock (which turns on a green light) doesn't respond, ControlAltDelete doesn't work. Only my mouse can adjust it's DPI since it's still getting power.

It happens at the most random times, however it seems to only happen when I'm busy on the pc. Till now it hasn't occured when I'm away from keyboard (unless I'm playing sound or watching something).

Specs:

CPU - i5 - 3570 @ 3.40 GHZ
RAM - 1 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHZ
Motherboard: MSI Z77A - G43
GPU: ATi Radeon R9 290
Monitor : Using an HDMI Samsung model
HDD : (The only older components from my previous build that I'm using. Old pc didn't give any problems, but I had to put the HDD in towels to take it with me from my home to university and had it assembled into the NEW pc that I bought here.

I do no overclocking whatsoever and haven't made any changes to the BIOS. I've only went in there and it seems to be running the latest BIOS version. I went to MSI's website to get the latest drivers for my motherboard and to Radeon's to get the latest one for my GPU. If, however, I'm using a program such as Driver Genius it somehow still recommends 7 new drivers for:
-chipset x 2
-intel smart connect technology
-realtek audio drivers
-realtek ethernet drivers
-intel rapid storage technology
-intel management engine interface

--> I can't download these drivers as I don't have the fully paid version. I can't find these drivers on MSI's website.

As for temperatures:
- CPU cores seems to be running at 30 to 40 degrees idle
- GPU seems to be running at 50 degrees idle.

Last points of interest:

- This usually happens when I'm busy doing browsing, music, lots of tabs, installing , UPDATING WINDOWS (a lot) and also occurs when shutting down.

Doing a full format of my primary HDD won't be hard, in fact if someone recommends it I'll do it, however the HDD was formatted 1 week ago when I received the pc.

Thanks a lot for any advice, help, insight or recommendations!

UPDATE --> I'm currently running this in Safe-mode with networking, browsing with as much tabs as I can and it hasn't frozen yet. This could mean something, however as aforementioned, the freezing is random and it's very hard to pinpoint a cause for this. Many thanks

Solution
OK. Try installing all drivers except Video card driver and see if you got any problem. Your video card seems to be pretty hot on idle. My Radeon HD 5670 stays on 34 degrees idle. Then if you don't have any problem, install your radeon driver and check temps with everest or open hardware monitor and post them here . Also audio stuttering it could be because your video card and audio card are sharing the same resources (The chipset near pci express port).

Pc-Pete

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015
Thanks I actually wasn't very sure about that. Luckily I just installed it as a last desperate attempt to see if I've perhaps missed some drivers. Double luck that I didn't buy it

When I have the cash I'll also get another stick of ram, but it's quite expensive in SA so I'll just have to wait a while. Do you however think that this could have a share in the problem?

It sounds more like a software issue than hardware, a single stick of ram wouldn't cause those issues. Maybe incorrect drivers, out of date drivers or missing updates. Something isn't playing nicely with the os somewhere along the line. By running in safe mode (the longer you run without issue) leads me to believe it's either a program that's loading at startup or additional drivers and software that's being run in regular mode vs safe. (safe runs with minimal drivers and can therefor eliminate potential software conflict issues).

Pc-Pete

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015

Totally agree with you. I honestly wish it's just a driver/software-related issue. I restarted the computer with normal booting settings and basically within 5 minutes when I came on here to reply, it froze. So I went into MSCONFIG and eliminated certain services and startup-items, rebooted, it still froze, disabled some more, rebooted and now still waiting for failure.

Pc-Pete

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015

Im running Windows 7 Ultimate 64

No overclocking softwared or used (unless something like CPU-z , Hardwaremonitor, prime95 memtest86 is classified under that

If I go into bios, the version number there corresponds to the number of MSI's latest version

Temps look normal in the bios, cpu @ 39 degrees, motherboard also slightly lower than that if I remember correctly.

Voltages, well I'm stumped. No idea what that should be. Will read about bout this.

The following is quite curious though: I just formatted my primary harddrive and installed a fresh copy of windows. The only things I did was :
Format
Install latest lan driver from realtek
Download and install torch browser
Upon entering torch browser to come here, it freezed

--> I rebooted in Safemode with networking, came here, been here for a while, quite active, no freezing.
Before installing new drivers I'm going to msconfig and follow the process of elimination.

grtone

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015
I had the same problem one month ago with a hp computer. It was a bad power supply that did not had enough power for all components and the audio was stuttering, mouse coursor was freezing... In safe mode your computer doesn't use any drivers for your components (just generic drivers from microsoft). What power supply do you have?

Pc-Pete

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015
I'm using an Antec 900watt HCG-900. What's the best way to determine if the PSU is faulty? Is there like a 'software-way' of determining that, instead of swapping it out with another?

So should I then suspect hardware?

grtone

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015
OK. Try installing all drivers except Video card driver and see if you got any problem. Your video card seems to be pretty hot on idle. My Radeon HD 5670 stays on 34 degrees idle. Then if you don't have any problem, install your radeon driver and check temps with everest or open hardware monitor and post them here . Also audio stuttering it could be because your video card and audio card are sharing the same resources (The chipset near pci express port).

Solution

Pc-Pete

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015
Hay guys. Thanks for everyone's answers and support.

I had to take my pc in to a computer shop. After thorough testing the motherboard was the culprit that needed replacing. Seems it was a bit faulty!

@grtone : Will monitor the radeon temps with open hardware monitor when I start putting some stress on the pc, since the tech guy at the shop also mentioned the temps climbing quite fast. Thanks man!