[SOLVED] RANDOM issues: could it be RAM or SSD?

joser0913

Prominent
Nov 10, 2019
Hello guys!

System specs:
R7 2700 stock setting
B450 Tomahawk MSI
8x1 GB Oloy RAM Single channel @ 2933 MHz
MSI RX 570 4GB
Team Group 120 SSD
2 TB Seagate HDD
System Power U9 500W Bequiet

I was trying to set the XMP profile on the BIOS to get 3000/2933 MHz on the memory but when I pressed Del Key and entered the BIOS it wouldn't do anything, no mouse or keyboard input. The clock on the BIOS was running. I booted onto Windows 10 and proceded to set 3000 MHz on Ryzen Master and then reboot and obviously the system wasn't going to work because the correct speed should be 1467 MHz. I don't quite understand how that works. In order to get the system up and running again I had to clear the CMOS and restart the BIOS settings.

Once CMOS cleared it let me control the BIOS to set XMP profile and now it's working fine @2933 MHz on single channel. I was planning on buying another identical memory stick but now I'm not sure if I'd be better of just buying 8x2 GB

I've been having funny issues since the beginning. Random freezes which include: no monitor, mouse or keyboard signal but fans and RGB keep going. Computer works fine 98% of the time, apart from those events which don't happen frequently, it's really annoying tho. The motherboard is new, I was having the same behavior on a B450M HDV R4.0

Questions:

How can I be 100% if my memory is not the issue here? I've tested with MEMTEST86 and it came out fine

Could a faulty SSD be causing the issue? This Teamgroup SSD doesn't appear to have a DRAM chache so it's actually just as slow as an HDD. It feels like it. It easly goes up to 100% when oppening Davinci Resolve, not even using it and it lags a lot to a point that if I don't use optimize media, it will crash

I've reduced the possibilities to these components. PSU didn't cause me any issues on the Haswell base system that I've before

Solution
Hello guys!

System specs:
R7 2700 stock setting
B450 Tomahawk MSI
MSI RX 570 4GB
Team Group 120 SSD
2 TB Seagate HDD

I was trying to set the XMP profile on the BIOS to get 3000/2933 MHz on the memory but when I pressed Del Key and entered the BIOS it wouldn't do anything, no mouse or keyboard input. The clock on the BIOS was running. I booted onto Windows 10 and proceded to set 3000 MHz on Ryzen Master and then reboot and obviously the system wasn't going to work because the correct speed should be 1467 MHz. I don't quite understand how that works. In order to get the system up and running again I had to clear the CMOS and restart the BIOS settings...
Hello guys!

System specs:
R7 2700 stock setting
B450 Tomahawk MSI
MSI RX 570 4GB
Team Group 120 SSD
2 TB Seagate HDD

I was trying to set the XMP profile on the BIOS to get 3000/2933 MHz on the memory but when I pressed Del Key and entered the BIOS it wouldn't do anything, no mouse or keyboard input. The clock on the BIOS was running. I booted onto Windows 10 and proceded to set 3000 MHz on Ryzen Master and then reboot and obviously the system wasn't going to work because the correct speed should be 1467 MHz. I don't quite understand how that works. In order to get the system up and running again I had to clear the CMOS and restart the BIOS settings.

Once CMOS cleared it let me control the BIOS to set XMP profile and now it's working fine @2933 MHz on single channel. I was planning on buying another identical memory stick but now I'm not sure if I'd be better of just buying 8x2 GB

I've been having funny issues since the beginning. Random freezes which include: no monitor, mouse or keyboard signal but fans and RGB keep going. Computer works fine 98% of the time, apart from those events which don't happen frequently, it's really annoying tho. The motherboard is new, I was having the same behavior on a B450M HDV R4.0

Questions:

How can I be 100% if my memory is not the issue here? I've tested with MEMTEST86 and it came out fine

Could a faulty SSD be causing the issue? This Teamgroup SSD doesn't appear to have a DRAM chache so it's actually just as slow as an HDD. It feels like it. It easly goes up to 100% when oppening Davinci Resolve, not even using it and it lags a lot to a point that if I don't use optimize media, it will crash

I've reduced the possibilities to these components. PSU didn't cause me any issues on the Haswell base system that I've before
It's DDR memory so if you see 1467MHz that means it's actual speed is twice that.
Theoretically you could get another RAM stick identical to yours but it would be much better to get 2x8gb of at least 3200MHz, Ryzen "likes" faster RAM in dual channel.
Some of your problems may be tied up with amount of RAM as system has to swap a lot of RAM to disk which even if it was fastest one would still be many times slower than RAM.
PS. It's also important in which slot RAM is placed, consult MB manual.

Solution