Question Random issues started this week ?

Aug 15, 2022
I have started having this issue this week where programs open will freeze or partially stop working, but when I manage to get them to close there are often button's from the programs that are now randomly on the desktop which will not move. Trying to restart or open anything leads to nothing and trying to shut down shows the same shutting down/restarting screen over and over and does not progres. I have cleared dust out of the case but this has made no difference, I tried monitoring temperatures but the program with that on was not showing up to date information when everything else stopped. Upon restarting everything is running extremely slow.

I am using:
Acer G5900 with upgraded PSU to CX600
AMD B350M
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Nvidia GTX960 (4GB)
16GB RAM

What is likely to be causing this to happen?
Thanks,
LH.

I have started having this issue this week where programs open will freeze or partially stop working, but when I manage to get them to close there are often button's from the programs that are now randomly on the desktop which will not move. Trying to restart or open anything leads to nothing and trying to shut down shows the same shutting down/restarting screen over and over and does not progres. I have cleared dust out of the case but this has made no difference, I tried monitoring temperatures but the program with that on was not showing up to date information when everything else stopped. Upon restarting everything is running extremely slow.

I am using:
Acer G5900 with upgraded PSU to CX600
AMD B350M
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Nvidia GTX960 (4GB)
16GB RAM

What is likely to be causing this to happen?
Thanks,
LH.
I would say a problem with Windows. That would be my first troubleshooting attempt. First start in Safe mode and see if same thing happens.
Run "SFC /SCANNOW" from Command Prompt (as administrator) and reboot..

Girl_Downunder

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
You can try to narrow it down by booting to a live Linux Mint USB w/all drives unplugged. See how/if it runs. Then, if all seems good, plug in your OS disk and boot back to Linux and have a look at the "disks" program to see if it shows your drive as healthy. If so, it could be Windows, itself, or possibly some sort of malware.

Aug 15, 2022
When I start in safe mode is there a way to tell if it fixes the issue as it seems to happen randomly and nothing can run online with safe mode to load, I seem to have had at least two hours without the issue happening and it doesn't seem to happen when it is left idling and I get the feeling it won't crash anyway in safe mode. I don't know how to get Linux and I have not had any training to use it so I am not sure how to do anything with regards to Linux. I also have some software that is not compatible with Linux which I don't know if it would cause any conflicts or not, but I have previously had support declined for using the current AMD components in the past as they were not supported with that software (despite meeting minimum requirements).

Windows was installed on the hard drive when it was replaced and then linked to my Microsoft account which later upgraded to 11 automatically. I don't have any physical recovery discs for Windows which was my understanding are no longer issued anymore as backups. I have managed to get screenshots and logs from HWMonitor from the last couple of hours of just watching YT videos if that shows anything significant but nothing has crashed in that time but I am not able to attach anything here.

When I start in safe mode is there a way to tell if it fixes the issue as it seems to happen randomly and nothing can run online with safe mode to load, I seem to have had at least two hours without the issue happening and it doesn't seem to happen when it is left idling and I get the feeling it won't crash anyway in safe mode. I don't know how to get Linux and I have not had any training to use it so I am not sure how to do anything with regards to Linux. I also have some software that is not compatible with Linux which I don't know if it would cause any conflictions or not, but I have previously had support declined for using the current AMD components in the past as they were not supported with that software (despite meeting minimum requirements).

Windows was installed on the hard drive when it was replaced and then linked to my Microsoft account which later upgraded to 11 automatically. I don't have any physical disks for Windows which was my understanding are no longer issued anymore as backups. I have managed to get screenshots and logs from HWMonitor from the last couple of hours of just watching YT videos if that shows anything significant but nothing has crashed in that time but I am not able to attach anything here.

This can help you download and make USB BOOT/installation media for windows. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d?ranMID=46131&ranEAID=a1LgFw09t88&ranSiteID=a1LgFw09t88-sSMxq2G8XfsQNy1_vF8TXw&epi=a1LgFw09t88-sSMxq2G8XfsQNy1_vF8TXw&irgwc=1&OCID=AID2200057_aff_7806_1243925&tduid=(ir__3dokakatfgkf6gakw3uygvphcu2xq0xirx3a3wbi00)(7806)(1243925)(a1LgFw09t88-sSMxq2G8XfsQNy1_vF8TXw)()&irclickid=_3dokakatfgkf6gakw3uygvphcu2xq0xirx3a3wbi00
If your windows are working to at least some extent you should be able to start setup.exe from USB and choose "In place upgrade" while keeping all personal files and programs. It will just replace all windows system files with clean default ones.

Aug 15, 2022
I don't have any USB drives that are big enough/working consistently enough to use windows on. I previously tried creating windows media on DVDs but this failed every time, my DVD drive is also no longer connected as there wasn't any appropriate connections on the AMD board where there was on the original board.

Is there any way to rule out heat related issues? I am starting to suspect this might be causing the problem even though I cleaned out the fans as the weather has been hotter recently. While writing this I also started to suspect the SATA connection on the removable HDD bay, there is a chance I might have put it back in the opposite slot since I remember the boot order changing a couple of days after I had removed the HDD to read what was on the information sticker about 2-3 weeks ago.