Random jump in free space

ZacAttack

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Hi, so a couple days ago i booted up my PC, and i always had roughly 160 GB of free space on my C drive, i looked and had around 500 GB of free space, has this happened to anyone else? and should i be worried? i didn't uninstall anything myself. Thankyou, please let me know if you need any additional info.

Solution
Perhaps something happened with the files from Nvidia Shadowplay, or some stored games on steam. It is not usual that such amounts of space are suddenly cleared, unless a specific program that contained that much data drastically changed his storage-method. Perhaps something moved to the cloud so it was deleted from you drive?

ZacAttack

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

i have a 1TB hard drive from seagate, it has mostly games from steam, some videos recorded with Nvidia Shadowplay, some other programs like Nexus Mod Manager, LOOT, skyrim modding tools. i never had anything installed with the size of 300GB, it would have been multiple files.

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Perhaps something happened with the files from Nvidia Shadowplay, or some stored games on steam. It is not usual that such amounts of space are suddenly cleared, unless a specific program that contained that much data drastically changed his storage-method. Perhaps something moved to the cloud so it was deleted from you drive?

Solution

ZacAttack

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

I've been looking around, nothing has come up yet. The good thing is that no crashes or reboots, but i'm starting to think it was some tmp files and some mods for skyrim. anyway, ill let you know if anything comes up but for the moment i'd say its solved.