[SOLVED] Random Lagging/Skipping on Desktop and Games

Jul 19, 2021
Im having moments were my systems is lagging/skipping on the desktop (when moving mouse & dragging windows) & in games but with no frame drops.

It first happened when playing Warzone all was fine and mid game after playing a while when moving it looked like I was dropping frames but wasn't.

GPU & CPU Temps are normal.
I have reinstalled Windows 10 (real registered copy) and it was fine until it started happening again were it would lag and be fine and then lag again.
Drivers are all updated and Bios is the latest.
Tried with D.O.C.P off and on still happens.
Using Single 1440p 144hz monitor.

All help appreciated

Current Nvidia Driver: 471.11
Bios: 3601

System:
AMD 5950x
ASUS DARK HERO X570
WD_BLACK 2 TB SN750 NVMe SSD
CORSAIR 64GB (4 x 16 GB)
ASUS TUF OC RTX 3080
NOCTUA NH-D15S (Single Fan)
CORSIAR RMx850 (w/ Asianhorse Extensions)

Solution
I have noticed some audio distortion were there it would go in and out / some static pop noises. Also was told my voice in discord would sometimes go robotic , cut out then speed up. I use Cloud 2 wireless and moved the dongle from the mobo back to the top of the case and haven't noticed anything yet other than the voice thing.

RAM is set to its advertised speed ( 3200 16-20-20-38) never manually OC anything just enabled DOCP.
Ah I see, the issue might be the amd infinity fabric and memory controller is getting overloaded causing there to be distortion and lagging.

I suggest lowering the ram speed a bit, maybe to 2666 and going up until the the lagging and distortion returns.

artavasdes

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
Im having moments were my systems is lagging/skipping on the desktop (when moving mouse & dragging windows) & in games but with no frame drops.

It first happened when playing Warzone all was fine and mid game after playing a while when moving it looked like I was dropping frames but wasn't.

I have reinstalled Windows 10 (real registered copy) and it was fine until it started happening again were it would lag and be fine and then lag again.

All help appreciated

System:
AMD 5950x
ASUS DARK HERO X570
CORSAIR 64GB (4 x 16 GB)
ASUS TUF OC RTX 3080
I have had issues like this in past, but in my case a fresh windows installation fixed the issue, it was most likely due to some drivers and other software in my case.

By any chance, is there any audio distortion?

artavasdes

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019

All help appreciated

System:
AMD 5950x
ASUS DARK HERO X570
CORSAIR 64GB (4 x 16 GB)
ASUS TUF OC RTX 3080
Also, do you mind specifying your ram speed? Are there any overclocks including X.M.P?

Jul 19, 2021
Also, do you mind specifying your ram speed? Are there any overclocks including X.M.P?

I have noticed some audio distortion were there it would go in and out / some static pop noises. Also was told my voice in discord would sometimes go robotic , cut out then speed up. I use Cloud 2 wireless and moved the dongle from the mobo back to the top of the case and haven't noticed anything yet other than the voice thing.

RAM is set to its advertised speed ( 3200 16-20-20-38) never manually OC anything just enabled DOCP.

artavasdes

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019

Ah I see, the issue might be the amd infinity fabric and memory controller is getting overloaded causing there to be distortion and lagging.

I suggest lowering the ram speed a bit, maybe to 2666 and going up until the the lagging and distortion returns.

Solution
Jul 19, 2021

I will give that a try later today also to add I can hear "coil whine" coming from behind the mobo near the CPU (read that was normal) but nothing to loud would that indicate the amd infinity fabric and memory controller getting worked to hard?