[SOLVED] Random Low FPS in All games in fullscreen

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
Hi, I am using Nvidia RTX 3080 with driver version 531.41
I've been running to a weird issue, all games that run in fullscreen mode, right from the start or after a few minutes start dipping below 30 fps (20-30ish) and my GPU utlization which I'm displaying using MSI Afterburner goes right up to 100% (not the power though, power doesn't change when this happens)

And I can fix it too, if I press Windows key on my keyboard twice, click on my second monitor (come out of fullscreen mode for 1 moment and go back) my FPS and GPU usage go back to normal.

e.g. in Apex GPU is sitting at ~60ish% usage, then jumps to 100% and frame rates drop really low, after I close the window and re-open it or press window key twice (bring and close start menu) it all goes back to normal.
It is a funky issue which I guess is with the recent drivers?
I only noticed this is happening a few days after updating my drivers (to use Nvidia RTX Video Super Resolution)

So basically my 30 minutes of gameplay consists of me pressing windows key twice every 30 seconds to avoid playing with 20-30 fps...
GPU isn't overheating or anything, I am assuming something in background eats the GPU? maybe some windows service, how should I track it down?
I tried task manager but it always reports GPU at low usage percentages (even the game), sadly wasn't helpful.

Solution
but if you really want to play fullscreen without dwm
then kill explrorer.exe task, suspend winlogon.exe task, then kill dwm.exe task
use process explorer for killing/supending tasks, its better than task manager for this

when you resume winlogon.exe, dwm will reopen itself (after gaming session ends)
use process explorer for killing/supending tasks, its better than task manager for this

when you resume winlogon.exe, dwm will reopen itself (after gaming session ends)

Solution

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020

I love VSR so much, 100% can't go back, I'll wait until future driver releases, I will report to Nvidia, hopefully they will do something.