Random MB question.

geno777

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Hi there, I have a question about mother boards. Its a X58 ATX and mATX MB. I don't have any specific brand in mind. Just was wondering whats the difference in the 2 ,beside the size.Performance ect....

Core i7, 1366 socket , dual triple channel DDR 3 memory

Any help would be nice, thanks

SystemPat

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
It's difficult to answer a question on random equipment. First try reading the available specs for the hardware you're looking at. 2nd post back with the make and model of your options.

The generic difference between a micro-ATX (mATX) and an ATX board is: due to the smaller physical size the micro board has at most 4 expansion card slots, where the full board has usually 6 slots. This means that no micro boards that I know of can run 2 video cards. Until recently mATX boards usually had BIOS or hardware limitations that made them poor at over-clocking. That difference seems to be going away as the BIOS are more often full-featured now.

Zenthar

Distinguished
As SystemPat said, the basic difference is the form factor, all the other differences are "side effects" of this. However, concerning X58 boards, almost all I could find did support dual video cards, but such a setup would prevent you from using any other slot.