wooley

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014
So I've actually posted a thread about this before. But I didn't get many answers and it's been a while since I posted it.
I've been having this problem for so long I can't even remember when it really started.
Micro stutter, micro freezing, 1ms freezing, I really don't know what to call it. It's really just something that you have to experience for yourself to truly understand how frustrating it really is.
It's like this: The game runs smoothly at a high framerate, then randomly the game pretty much completely freezes for a milisecond. It's very random but seems like its triggered by stuff loading in game, so pretty much if I'm moving in the game I'm playing, I can get the stuttering.
I've tried LITERALLY EVERYTHING.
  • Graphics settings changes
  • Vsync on, Vsync off
  • AMD Freesync on or off
  • Tried a friends monitor
  • Updated all drivers
  • Reinstalled drivers using DDU (DisplayDriverUninstaller)
  • Bought a new gold certified 750w power supply
  • Tested with two different graphics cards even (1080ti and now using a Radeon 7)
  • Fullscreen optimizations on or off
  • Literally reset windows (wiped pc except personal files)
  • Changed hard drives, Upgrading from a really crappy one
  • Ran my games on an SSD and the Hard Drive
  • Unplugged it and plugged it back in
  • Used a power strip for pc and monitor vs. plugging straight into wall
  • Cleared RAM cache ( I actually set a windows event thing that clears it every 5 minutes)
  • Ran tests with LatencyMon. Used to have high latency but I fixed that. But it turned out not to be the cause of stuttering.
I think I've tried other things as well, it's kinda hard to remember after trying so much.
The point is, somethings wrong. I should be running games smoothly. It really makes games feel unplayable for me.
I play most games competitively so every bit of performance matters. I need high fps and not just that I need the game to be as smooth as butter.
Most noticeable stuttering happens in online games, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it at least once or twice in offline games, but was still obviously connected to internet.
Games like PUBG, Apex, and even Battlefield V have some of the worst stuttering.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VxVhQZ

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock - Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Video Card: ASRock - Radeon VII 16 GB Phantom Gaming X Video Card
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: ViewSonic xg2402

This is my old build, which if I remember correctly it had very similar issues.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NP4XBb

NOW TO MY SECOND ISSUE

I also for some reason went with ASRock motherboards, even though I had a bad experience with my last one.
Specifically the Realtek Audio and it's confusing drivers.
I've even been getting audio problems with this new system.
By problems I mean distorted audio, like crackling mostly, really that just seems to happen when watching twitch.
The only reason I mention this is the fact that I feel its a possibility that its related to my stuttering. But I really have no idea.

I tried contacting ASSRock but they literally have the worst customer service that I've ever seen. So theres no chance I could even get a replacement and definitely not a refund.
So even if the motherboard was the problem, I'm stuck with it. And don't misunderstand, this is a brand new motherboard. Everything in my system was bought in the last two months.

So in my opinion, I really really don't see it being a hardware problem.
I've had the problem on two different graphics cards.
Two different power supplies.
Two different hard drives.

I guess that leaves the RAM, Motherboard, and the monitor.
While they are my prime suspects right now, it's still really hard to believe brand new components could have something like this wrong with them right?
Like it's just stuttering. I would expect much worse problems or major signs if there was something wrong with the hardware.
But to my knowledge, everything is running as it should. Nothing seems to be necessarily wrong.

Let me know if there's ANY more info you need to know. I want to fix this so badly, it has been driving me nuts for so long.
Any help given is very appreciated.

So I've actually posted a thread about this before. But I didn't get many answers and it's been a while since I posted it.
I've been having this problem for so long I can't even remember when it really started.
Micro stutter, micro freezing, 1ms freezing, I really don't know what to call it. It's really just something that you have to experience for yourself to truly understand how frustrating it really is.
It's like this: The game runs smoothly at a high framerate, then randomly the game pretty much completely freezes for a milisecond. It's very random but seems like its triggered by stuff loading in game, so pretty much if I'm moving in the game I'm playing, I can get the stuttering.
I've tried LITERALLY EVERYTHING.
  • Graphics settings changes
  • Vsync on, Vsync off
  • AMD Freesync on or off
  • Tried a friends monitor
  • Updated all drivers
  • Reinstalled drivers using DDU (DisplayDriverUninstaller)
  • Bought a new gold certified 750w power supply
  • Tested with two different graphics cards even (1080ti and now using a Radeon 7)
  • Fullscreen optimizations on or off
  • Literally reset windows (wiped pc except personal files)
  • Changed hard drives, Upgrading from a really crappy one
  • Ran my games on an SSD and the Hard Drive
  • Unplugged it and plugged it back in
  • Used a power strip for pc and monitor vs. plugging straight into wall
  • Cleared RAM cache ( I actually set a windows event thing that clears it every 5 minutes)
  • Ran tests with LatencyMon. Used to have high latency but I fixed that. But it turned out not to be the cause of stuttering.
I think I've tried other things as well, it's kinda hard to remember after trying so much.
The point is, somethings wrong. I should be running games smoothly. It really makes games feel unplayable for me.
I play most games competitively so every bit of performance matters. I need high fps and not just that I need the game to be as smooth as butter.
Most noticeable stuttering happens in online games, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it at least once or twice in offline games, but was still obviously connected to internet.
Games like PUBG, Apex, and even Battlefield V have some of the worst stuttering.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VxVhQZ

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock - Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Video Card: ASRock - Radeon VII 16 GB Phantom Gaming X Video Card
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: ViewSonic xg2402

This is my old build, which if I remember correctly it had very similar issues.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NP4XBb

NOW TO MY SECOND ISSUE

I also for some reason went with ASRock motherboards, even though I had a bad experience with my last one.
Specifically the Realtek Audio and it's confusing drivers.
I've even been getting audio problems with this new system.
By problems I mean distorted audio, like crackling mostly, really that just seems to happen when watching twitch.
The only reason I mention this is the fact that I feel its a possibility that its related to my stuttering. But I really have no idea.

I tried contacting ASSRock but they literally have the worst customer service that I've ever seen. So theres no chance I could even get a replacement and definitely not a refund.
So even if the motherboard was the problem, I'm stuck with it. And don't misunderstand, this is a brand new motherboard. Everything in my system was bought in the last two months.

So in my opinion, I really really don't see it being a hardware problem.
I've had the problem on two different graphics cards.
Two different power supplies.
Two different hard drives.

I guess that leaves the RAM, Motherboard, and the monitor.
While they are my prime suspects right now, it's still really hard to believe brand new components could have something like this wrong with them right?
Like it's just stuttering. I would expect much worse problems or major signs if there was something wrong with the hardware.
But to my knowledge, everything is running as it should. Nothing seems to be necessarily wrong.

Let me know if there's ANY more info you need to know. I want to fix this so badly, it has been driving me nuts for so long.
Any help given is very appreciated.

Have you tried updating windows 10? I know this sounds like a dumb question after all you have done to try to get rid of it, but I have had a similar issue and since I have updated windows 10, I have not had any micro-stutters.

wooley

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014
Have you tried updating windows 10? I know this sounds like a dumb question after all you have done to try to get rid of it, but I have had a similar issue and since I have updated windows 10, I have not had any micro-stutters.
Yea I have, I reset or I guess reinstalled windows on this new hard drive.

Apr 5, 2019
Mine was having the same sorta problems until i put the games that did it on my m.2. its like my old HD didnt have enough speed to keep up with the cpu/gpu haha

i use

UserBenchmarks: Game 132%, Desk 138%, Work 135%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X - 103.7%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 - 156.2%
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 250GB - 246.2%
HDD: Seagate Desktop SSHD 1TB - 51.2%
HDD: WD Green 3TB (2011) - 67.7%
RAM: G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB - 102.6%
MBD: Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING