[SOLVED] Random moments of packet loss

Furzumz

Reputable
I know next to nothing with networking so please bear with my ineptitude

My internet has been working fine up until about a week ago. Throughout the day and night it will randomly cut out completely for about 3 to 20 seconds then proceed to slowly recover and returns back to normal after about roughly 1 minute. When its 'recovering' it seems like its able to send and receive some data but not consistently.

For example when the connection starts to recover, refreshing a web page will load in some parts of the web page but not the entire thing until the connection fully stabilizes.

I ran a packet loss test on the packet loss test website when it started happening again and it came back with 90% packet loss. When my internet is stable the test returns a 0% packet loss result

When this happens it affects every device in the house using the internet, not just my computer. My network setup is modem > router > computer (wired). I haven't changed any network settings or any network hardware recently. It just started happening out of the blue.

I was planning on calling my internet provider but when ever I did in the past they were always pretty useless so I figured I'd ask here first

Any suggestions I could try?

Solution
It seemed to of resolved itself for no apparent reason. I'm going to assume it must of been something on my internet providers end

Thanks for the suggestions and help everyone!

Edit - the problem returned. However, after poking around online further several others in my area were having the same problem. One of them called Cox and Cox told them it was due to a 'node' issue (basically something on their end). They said they'd fix it but didn't give an ETA on when. So if you live in the Mesa / Glendale area in Arizona and are experiencing this problem around the timeframe of this post then thats whats going on apparently
check the modem´s and router´s log if possible

your provider can check the connection between them and your modem easily, if something is odd, they might find the problem.

Did you restart your modem and router yet?
Any updates available for your modem

are all devices connected to the router? Maybe the router is getting faulty

It sounds like an isp issue so I'd call them and ask if they have any outages in your area and if not, have them check the connection between them and the modem as suggested above.

Oh, but one final test before you do that--hardware your computer to your modem and see if you have any issues that way. I suspect you will, but just in case. Be sure to have all firewalls, etc on because your computer will be directly connected to the internet for attack.

Furzumz

Reputable
check the modem´s and router´s log if possible

I'm not sure if I did it correctly, I googled it up and it said to put 192.168.100.1 into the address bar of a web browser. It didn't ask me to log in but here's what I got for the logs section: link

your provider can check the connection between them and your modem easily, if something is odd, they might find the problem.

I'll try calling them up, I'll post back here with the results

Did you restart your modem and router yet?

Yeah, I tried that a few times by unplugging it and leaving it unplugged for about a minute but the problem still persists

Any updates available for your modem

I found the model and went to their website, says there's no updates or firmware available

Or is there a different way I gotta go about downloading updates?

are all devices connected to the router? Maybe the router is getting faulty

Yeah everything is connected to the router. My modem only has 1 Ethernet port which the router takes up. But the router is pretty new, I bought it about 5 months ago. But the modem I think is from 2017

Oh, but one final test before you do that--hardware your computer to your modem and see if you have any issues that way. I suspect you will, but just in case. Be sure to have all firewalls, etc on because your computer will be directly connected to the internet for attack.

I'll give that a shot tonight when its just me up using the internet

Thank you guys for the suggestions and the help. I'll post back here later when I can test out directly connecting my computer to the modem tonight and I'll call up cox to see what they say

Furzumz

Reputable
It seemed to of resolved itself for no apparent reason. I'm going to assume it must of been something on my internet providers end

Thanks for the suggestions and help everyone!

Edit - the problem returned. However, after poking around online further several others in my area were having the same problem. One of them called Cox and Cox told them it was due to a 'node' issue (basically something on their end). They said they'd fix it but didn't give an ETA on when. So if you live in the Mesa / Glendale area in Arizona and are experiencing this problem around the timeframe of this post then thats whats going on apparently

Last edited:
Reactions: SamirD
Solution