Question Random No Display Output on PC Bootup - Doesn't happen always

Aug 27, 2020
Hello Everyone!

I recently built this computer for my friend (less than two weeks ago) and this issue has happened about 4-5 in that time.

Issue: Computer turns on but does no display output. It doesn’t happen every time.

Description of the what happens to my friend:

Every now and then, when I turn on my PC, I see the desktop case light up normally and the fans start spinning, however the monitor just sits idle and the message of it going to sleep is displayed followed by it going dark.

To "fix" it what I usually do is turn off the PC via the button, then switch off the Power Supply. I check the cables and maybe wiggle them a bit (although I have tried other ports and the ports themselves don't seem to be an issue because it happens anyway), then turn everything back on. It takes an odd amount of time but if I'm "lucky" it turns on perfectly normal and I know this because it immediately displays the motherboard logo on the screen before displaying the login screen.

PC Parts

• Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite (latest BIOS, F2)
  • CPU: Ryzen 3600
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB RAM (2x8)
  • GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 XT 8GB Gaming OC (latest Driver version 20.4.2)
  • PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 600 W 80+ Gold (Semi-modular)
  • Monitor 1 (using 2nd slot from Left-Right, which is first DP slot on GPU): Sceptre 24-Inch Curved 144Hz LED (C248B-144RN)
  • Monitor 2(using the only HDMI port on GPU): 24 inch, 1080p LED HDMI Monitor
What we tried so far:

• We checked that Motherboard BIOS, Ryzen, GPU have all their latest stable driver or update. Last one down yesterday was BIOS (from F1 to F2).
  • We tried connecting one monitor (HDMI) to the HDMI slot of the motherboard to see if it booted on that screen and not the other, to see if perhaps is something with the GPU.
  • We tried connecting the DP Monitor to other slots in the GPU, same results.
I hope I’ve been explicit enough to generate some other things we can try. I’ll greatly appreciate exchanging ideas as I don’t want leaving my close friend with this bad experience building his first PC.

Thanks!

EDIT: I thought I might add something he experienced yesterday. He was using the computer ( in one of those bootups that just went normal). He was watching a twitch stream, nothing more than that, and the screen froze, Sound got "stuck" with a repeating sound, monitors "shutdown/lost input". Motherboard and fan lights were still on, but he proceeded to turn it off then.

Not sure if this helps add info to the case.

Last edited: