Question Random "No VGA detected" error and freezes before Windows splash screen during boot.

katsushige724

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard: Asus Strix B-350 Gaming
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060
RAM: Corsair DDR4 2X8 GB 3000 MHZ, model number CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
PSU: EVGA 850W Bronze
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

Aside from when I was first setting up my PC, I wasn't having any issues with white LED/GPU errors during up until maybe a few months ago, where they began to show up rather unexpectedly, but the PC would always boot sooner or later after enough attempts.

The lights go from orange to red rather quickly, but it hangs for a few seconds at red before it moves to white, afterwhich it'll either proceed to green, hang at white with the "No VGA detected" beep code (Which forces me to power it off), or more strangely, loop back through orange and red again before either continuing or hanging.

However, even if it gets to a green light, I've had the PC just decide to freeze basically any time before the Windows splash screen shows up, sometimes while the BIOS splash is still there, other times while it's on a black screen trying to transition to Windows. I don't get any beep code when this happens and the boot LED is already off at that point. Checking the Windows event log shows that it only got far enough in the boot process to tell that the system was powered off incorrectly, but nothing more.

I feel like it's highly probable that this is the GPU's fault, as I previously made a post about it randomly giving me the black screen/no signal error (Which was actually being caused by it overheating despite being within the manufacturer suggested limits) not longer after the boot issues started happening, which suggests some component is failing/faulty. The thing is once I get to my desktop things run smoothly and the GPU has no further issues even under load if it's being properly cooled (Letting it get to over 70C seems to be the point where it becomes unstable, so my fan curve tries to keep it around 65 C tops).

It has been getting a lot of use with me generally keeping it under load for at least 12 hours a day since I got it almost two years ago so it may simply wearing down, though I hadn't been cleaning it much, either, so it's probable it had been damaged from dust build-up.

The easiest check would be to swap in a different GPU, but this is the only functional one I have on hand currently, so I'm trying to see if I can pin down the issue and determine whether or not it's worth it/safe to keep using this one despite its issues. I was planning on buying a replacement regardless since it not being stable within the "safe" temperature ranges is a bit of a no-no.

I've already tried replugging cables/reseating the GPU/RAM and it didn't change anything, either.

katsushige724

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
Well, after about five days of no crashes, I randomly got a screen freeze that forced a reboot despite the GPU running cool. I could still hear audio and the keyboard was still functional, though.

Windows Event Log tracked multiple generic LiveKernelEvent 141 errors which to my knowledge are generally hardware related, so this seems like another strong indicator that the GPU is the problem here.

katsushige724

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
After doing more digging around, I only now noticed that my GPU is being listed as operating at only x4 instead of x16 in GPU-Z, even when it's under load.

I also noticed that with seemingly no rhyme or reason, the GPU will run Final Fantasy XIV noticeably worse then it usually does, and it's in this unstable state that the random black screens/freezes seem to occur. The GPU load goes 30% higher then it does when it's running normally and I get very noticeable FPS drops in areas where I normally get a smooth 60 FPS.

It's not a heat issue, as the GPU temps are identical during both manners of operation, and checking the active processes shows nothing that's actually eating up additional GPU power, either (Aside from XIV itself).

Probably the weirdest thing is that the GPU was actually not even being recognized in the Asus BIOS when I was able to get it to run XIV properly in this latest instance. Now I'm starting to wonder if the motherboard is somehow to blame for this.