Question Random noises on PC when plugging devices into wall socket(s)

Bobbrugge

Honorable
May 2, 2014
I don't know where to put this, move it if there is a better place please. Same with the title.

The noise the computer makes when you plug in a usb? Yeah, my computer makes that noise when ever I plug something into the wall, like a turned off box fan, or turned off fish light.
They are all in the same room, so they are probably all on the same circuit, but everything gets plugged into different outlets. All the computer stuff is on a surge protector plugged into one wall, the fish stuff is plugged into a surge protector on a different wall. The box fan is plugged in under the window.
Should I be concerned? I don't see how it could be a power surge when the things getting plugged in and unplugged are turned off. They don't even have power lights. So literally, there should be zero draw from these things when being plugged in.
Anyone else have that issue?

I have an outlet like that - whenever I plug anything into it, everything in the room reboots (or did, until I put everything on a UPS). I've replaced the outlet (twice) and checked that all the connections are secure, that ground is really ground, and that neutral is really neutral. No clue what causes it.

Lutfij

Titan
I think you have more things to worry about, like calling in a certified electrician and scoping out the wires in your room and eventually your entire house to see if your wiring is overlapping other wires. I'd also be looking at your system and it's PSU as there are a number of people who spend a good amount of money on innards for the PC but skimp out on the PSU. There are also units within a series(from a brand that makes reliable units) have faulty units.

Bobbrugge

Honorable
May 2, 2014
I think you have more things to worry about, like calling in a certified electrician and scoping out the wires in your room and eventually your entire house to see if your wiring is overlapping other wires. I'd also be looking at your system and it's PSU as there are a number of people who spend a good amount of money on innards for the PC but skimp out on the PSU. There are also units within a series(from a brand that makes reliable units) have faulty units.
Sadly it isn't my house and it isn't just one outlet. I can't get the landlord to do s#it until it is a smoking ruin. The best I can do is a surge protector. I have a 1500W power supply that is a little older. Any safe way to test it? It never did this when I had it across the room, so maybe it is my psu. This just started a few days ago...