[SOLVED] Random Packet Loss on ethernet connection

Mar 15, 2021
So about 2 months ago I've noticed while gaming that I have low ping but I get random packet loss spikes causing me to teleport and skip in game. There's a graph in game that tells you the % of packet loss you get and most of the time it'll randomly spike to 100% and sometimes to like 60 or 30%. I've tried almost everything to resolve this issue and I just can't figure it out.I did ping tests in the command prompt when ever I run the tests it barely shows any loss of packets. Maybe 3 packets will get lost over the hour of tests I do but when gaming it happens every 2 minutes. I've bought a new router, bought a new ethernet cable, tried wifi, factory reset my PC, checked updates for drivers, bought a new ethernet card and talked to my ISP. ISP said they saw nothing on their end so I'm completely lost. Any help would be great.

Solution
Okay, so if you don't have another physical computer, you need to boot a linux live cd and run the same tests there. If you're having problems under windows, but not under linux, that means that the hardware and network are both okay and it's still a windows issue.

If you have problems under linux, then it points to either a hardware issue or a network issue.
Mar 15, 2021
Run packetlosstest.com and post the results.
View: https://imgur.com/v9tX9dp
a perfect test as expected. I usually start to get a little packet loss and late packets after my PC has been on for about an hour. When I restart my PC I get some time with no packet loss which is what I dont understand.

Edit: View: https://imgur.com/kBka9Ib
I also have this screen shot from ping plotter showing 94% Packet loss but not entirely sure what it means if you can help me with that.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021
Try running packetlosstest again when you're having packet loss. It seems like it could be an issue with your system itself.

Do you have any other systems on the network that are having issues or is it just yours? That also helps narrow it down.
If it did happen to be my system do you know what any possibilities of what it can be? Like I said in my original post I factory reset my PC and bought a new ethernet card as well. I don't have another computer to test the if I get the same packet loss but I have noticed the wifi would be a little wonky sometimes on my phone.

I've also just ran another packet loss test and it shows I have 1.7% in late packets and lost 1 packet on download.

Okay, so if you don't have another physical computer, you need to boot a linux live cd and run the same tests there. If you're having problems under windows, but not under linux, that means that the hardware and network are both okay and it's still a windows issue.

If you have problems under linux, then it points to either a hardware issue or a network issue.

Solution
Mar 15, 2021

I acutally got my old macbook and used the terminal to ping 8.8.8.8 at the same time as my PC and I got a few request timeouts on both of them. my macbook is on wifi and my pc is connected by ethernet. surely this is a network problem?

I acutally got my old macbook and used the terminal to ping 8.8.8.8 at the same time as my PC and I got a few request timeouts on both of them. my macbook is on wifi and my pc is connected by ethernet. surely this is a network problem?
Sounds like it. Does that macbook have an ethernet port? If so, wire it up and run the same test with your desktop on wifi and the mac wired. If you have the same results, then yes, it does point to the network.