Question Random Packet Loss on High End PC ?

Feb 21, 2023
I recently just had this PC built with all brand new parts, it has 13 fans and really low temps. When I overclock my ram to the 7600 speed I start stuttering in games like Valorant. So I am forced to leave XMP off. I am having random packet loss issues even when I am fully wired with ethernet. My internet is NOT the issue, I have my brother played hard wired as well and he never stutters or ever receives any packet loss whatsoever so something is wrong with my PC.

• I tried resetting the PC from scratch multiple times. It doesn't make a difference.
  • I swapped through 3 different ethernet cables so that's not the problem.
  • I also plugged it into a different gigabit switch, still no fix. Internet or ethernet is not the issue.

Im not sure if its my ram or mobo having issues or if its faulty. Help, what do I do ?

PSU: Corsair HX 1200 1200 Watt, 80+ Platinum
MOBO: ROG STRIX Z790E GAMING WIFI
CPU: 19-13900K
GPU: RTX 4080
RAM: G SKILL TRIDENT 32GB DDR5 7600 CL36 (clocked at 4800MHz)
Storage: 2TB 980 PRO SSD with heatsink, 4TB HDD

Are you sure you have actual packet loss or could it be some issue with the game client.

If you open a cmd window in the background and leave a constant ping cmd run to your router do you see loss. In a game for example you could get loss if the cpu core that the game is running on is overloaded but a background ping command will likely be assigned to a different core so it won't be affected by the game load.

If the ping command has issues then I am not sure what to suggest. It would have to be some issue with the driver. Make sure you uninstall that idiot game/qos software asus bundles. I think they call it CFOSspeed but it is part of the bloatware they try to get you load.

Although I am not sure if it causes you problem check that you do not have a intel 226 ethernet chip. Intel messed up big time again and there is a hardware issue with this line of chips. They have not been very transparent about what it actually affects, they pretend it is not a problem.
The only real fix is to replace the chip and I am not sure how you can tell which motherboards have the problem chip.

Feb 21, 2023
Are you sure you have actual packet loss or could it be some issue with the game client.

If you open a cmd window in the background and leave a constant ping cmd run to your router do you see loss. In a game for example you could get loss if the cpu core that the game is running on is overloaded but a background ping command will likely be assigned to a different core so it won't be affected by the game load.

If the ping command has issues then I am not sure what to suggest. It would have to be some issue with the driver. Make sure you uninstall that idiot game/qos software asus bundles. I think they call it CFOSspeed but it is part of the bloatware they try to get you load.

Although I am not sure if it causes you problem check that you do not have a intel 226 ethernet chip. Intel messed up big time again and there is a hardware issue with this line of chips. They have not been very transparent about what it actually affects, they pretend it is not a problem.
The only real fix is to replace the chip and I am not sure how you can tell which motherboards have the problem chip.
Im not sure if it is actual packet loss or not, whenever I play a game everything freezes for a few seconds then it skips back to normal. When that happens I notice my ping goes through the roof and my packet loss goes from 98% and slowly goes back down to 0.

You need to test with something other than the game. Games tell lies. If they get stuck is say a video processing routine when they finally get done and check the buffer for the data it is using to measure the ping it will blame this extra delay on the network rather than it got stuck.

This is where you can waste a lot of time chasing the wrong thing. If you get loss on a actual ping command it is something very basic with the machine. If the ping command is good then it is more likely something more advanced related to the game settings