Random PC Freezing, No BSOD, Nothing in event log.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2017
I am hoping someone will be able to help. Over the past few weeks, my entire PC has frozen in place. This happened once every month or so but is more frequent now. The last frame is shown and audio cuts out. I have not found anything consistent in the event log, have updated all drivers, BIOS, reseated the RAM, GPU, ran the Intel processor diagnostic tool, ran stress tests with memtest86 (6 passes over 24 hours), Furmark, there haven't been any overheating issues when monitoring my temperatures. All tests have come back negative.

The PC has frozen during Fortnite, with OBS open and closed, During Fornite, I have noticed that it takes a few hours for the first freeze to happen. After reboots, it happens more frequently. Other times the PC freezes during After Effects renders, but with not all. Please let me know what else I can provide. I am sure I am missing things that I have done. Thank you, upfront for your assistance.

PC Specs:

Windows 10
Intel Core i7-4790K
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
ASRock Z97 Pro4 Motherboard
24GB Kingston RAM

Cooler Master PSU are not that high quality and yes it would cause a freeze because the most demanding power hungry device in your system is your GPU but what OS are you running and is your bios up too date for your motherboard.
PSU Tier list tier 1-2 are good for gaming
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

I would recommend an EVGA SuperNova Gold G2 / or new G3 /GS / GQ, Platinum P2 / PS, or Titanium T2 or a Seasonic M12-II Evo or S12-II
GOOD PSU EVGA is a B2, G2, G3, P2, GS, PS, or T2. Avoid the EVGA B1 and G1 series/ I bought a EVGA G3 with 7year garentee
https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
Power supply Calculator

Aug 11, 2017
A friend of mine ordered me a Corsair RMx Series, RM750x, 750W, Fully Modular Power Supply, 80 PLUS Gold Certified. Should be getting it at the end of next week. Will update if this was the issue.

Any ideas if this doesn't happen to be the fix?

Aug 11, 2017
The BIOS is up to date. Even when I removed the two new sticks of memory (two 4GB sticks) the random freezing continues. Hoping to avoid reformatting...seems like a hardware issue. Where can I locate the RAM speed? I have openhardwaremonitor if that helps.

Aug 11, 2017
the 2 16gb are from one kit and the two 4gb are from the other. I removed the two 4gb and they still failed. I should try removing 1 stick of each of the 8gb? Wouldn't memtest show an error? Or not necessarily.

Aug 11, 2017
Thank you both for all of the help! You made this caster and a LOT of people really happy. I'll RMA the two 8GB sticks to Crucial. It was definitely a RAM issue. Nothing showed on memtest86, but there was obviously something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.