Jan 19, 2021
I picked up a couple new ssd's and a new ram kit. Upon fresh install of windows i noticed my pc freezing randomly. Checked event viewer and the only thing in there worth noting was kernel power 41 (obviously from me force restarting it). First thing i did was reinstall windows again (since i had only just installed it) and that didnt change anything. Second i tried putting my old ram kit back in and it seemed to have stopped. I ordered a replacement ram kit and ran into the same issue. I scanned both drives, multiple passes of memtest, updated all drivers, updated bios, tried XMP off and on, tried setting timings and voltages manually, nothing has helped. I returned both kits of ram yesterday since i hadnt experienced a freeze all day. and read an article someone posted that had an identical issue and ended up being that their motherboard and ram just werent compatible for some reason. It just froze again with the old ram kit and im pretty stumped. The only part i havent replaced since i built the pc a few months ago is the psu. (brought it over from my previous pc, probably 4-5 years old). Only reason i havent replaced the psu is because i bought a corsair RM 850x and it came DOA and just havent grabbed a new one yet.

Im thinking it either has to be the psu or the new drive that i have the OS on. I've had inland professional drives before and they've always worked flawlessly, never owned any XPG hardware before though.

Any help is much appreciated.

Specs:
i9 10850k
MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi
Old ram kit: 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400mhz
New ram kit: 32gb XPG Spectrix D60g 3200mhz
RTX 3070 Founders
Boot Drive: 256gb XPG 256gb M.2 2280
1tb Inland Professional M.2 2280
NZXT Kraken X52
EVGA Supernova 850w 80+ Gold

Edit
I uninstalled Razer Synapse because in the devices menu in settings there is a constant driver error on the usb audio controller. After uninstalling the freezing seemed to stop. When i checked event viewer there were multiple razer service crashes around the time of the freezes

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS